Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3.5" IDE to USB2 caddy

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
parkergeo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: 3.5" IDE to USB2 caddy Reply with quote

I have purchased a Hornettek 3.5" IDE to USB2 caddy.
> The instruction booklet does not refer to W98(SE) which I'm using
> so I've tried both device manager & FDISK to access the disc.
> No use. I've tried www.hornettek.com for info but their appears to be problems with their site.
> I suspect I need a special driver for this, or the device is not compatible with W98(SE), although nothing on packaging about compatibility. Your help would be appreciated.
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win98 does not come with native USB mass storage support, hence the need for "extra" drivers. These are normally supplied by device manufacturers - however as Windows 98 is no longer a current program, most manufacturers no longer bother

SOME USB storage devices can be made to work using generic USB drivers
One version of these can be downloaded from this website
Please see http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

I am sure SoftStag or Steve will be able to explain more later if you repost with any further questions
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JonS says, the drivers at the link he gives should provide access to pretty much any USB Mass Storage Device from Windows 98. Note however this just provides the access, if the drive you are connecting is formatted with NTFS, Windows 98 will not be able to read the files on it, you will need to ensure you are using FAT16 or FAT32 file system by formatting the drive accordingly (note this deletes data).

Let us know if you have any problems with these drivers and we can try to assist from there.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: