Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3tb drive problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
johhnn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: 3tb drive problem Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for reading this post.

After 3 days of googling, tired and hungry, can someone please help me find an answer to this problem

I have a compaq presario cq61 330sa running win 7 starter, with a 2,2 ghz cpu, 3 gigs ram, amd system, and have purchased a 3tb seagate hdd connected via external usb.

It reads 746gb in disc manager initalised as gpt. I have tried the drive in 3 different usb enclosurers but all the same even my xp desktop states 746gb.

Seagate told me to update my intel rst driver, but intel's said it had no drivers compatiable with my system.

I have run windows update and installed everything microsoft has to offer, also installed the latest Amd catalyst control centre which installed the latest drivers for my hardware (I made sure the usb was plugged in and running) but no change in the seagate drive it still reads 746gb.

In disc management the driver for the 3tb drive is still 6.1.7600.16385 (rtm 090713-1255) dated 2006, which has not changed at all from any of the updating.

The hard drive seller stated 3 tb drives only work with ahci bios for booting, they should be fine for usb storage.

Any advice would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thank you. John.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer, never come across this before

However a question - how did you format / partition the drive? What software did you use for that?
johhnn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I just used disc management in win 7 starter 32-bit and initialised the drive as gpt. It reads 746gb.
Seagate states i need the intel rst version 10 driver or higher, they have 11 and 12 available from the website but when i try to install them i get a message stating "your system does not meet the minium requirements"

But i don't get it, there are people out there who are running xp and have overcome this problem.

Thank you. John.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lets cover a few points

1) that machine does not have an Intel chipset, so forget any notion of installing any Intel drivers on it. They're irrelevant to the machine

2) my understanding is that 32-bit WinXP is never going to read that drive. My quick scan if the M$ help files indicates that 32-bit XP and GPT won't work.

3) my guess is that somehow you've not formatted the drive properly. And I suspect - though I may be wrong - that the problem is partly to do with it being a 32-bit OS. Yes I know 32-bit Win7 is supposed to hack it, but I'm not convinced.....I think the software has misformatted the drive

Of course theres always the chance that the controllers in the USB caddies can't handle the GPT system. Does that PC have an e-sata connector - if it does it would be worth trying to use that, connecting the bare drive to it

If thats not possible, download the Seagate Disktools software from http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/ and format the drive with that
johhnn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: 3tb hdd Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i downloaded the seagate software and it did not install with the message "no seagate/maxtor hard drive can be found on your system"

Next i folllowed another suggestion and used Acronis and Paragon to try and format the drive, unfortunatly both pieces of software still read the drive as 746gb.

Do you think the drive may be faulty. I cotacted Scan computers who i purchased the drive from and they said the drive should be fine and that they would pass this problem on to their technicians, but it has been 4 days and no reply from them.

Seagate just stated the obvious like are you drivers up to date, try bypassing the usb and going straight into the motherboard, etc etc all of which i have done.

Don't know what to do now.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have access to a desktop machine with either Vista or Win7 64-bit installed?
If you, connect the drive to a SATA port and format it on that
Then switch to the USB caddy and see
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: