Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About ready 2give up on computers & go back2 Stone Age!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: About ready 2give up on computers & go back2 Stone Age! Reply with quote

I thought all my internet issues were finally sussed - having established that it was ZoneAlarm which was preventing me from surfing after updating AVG Free and later upgrading to Internet Explorer 8.

But I was wrong! Although I thankfully haven't been prevented from surfing again, security software is proving to be a never-ending saga.

This afternoon I was warned that my ESET Smart Security free trial licence expires in 14 days, so I immediately followed the link to the purchase screen and purchased the full product for 1 computer for 1 year, and soon got my licence number (licence exp. 25/07/2010) and download link & instructions.

After I'd downloaded the software, I immediately hit a buffer: the installation wizard gave me only 2 options, either to 'repair' or 'remove' it, and without any instructions in the email beyond "follow the installation wizard's prompts" I chose 'repair' and the following error message came up:

"A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:/Documents and Settings/User/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/CXWHY74D/ess_nt32_enu.msi"

The full version has not been installed and the ESET logo is still showing as orange with the expiry warning. Do I in fact have to either wait until the free licence has expired in 14 days, or else use the wizard to remove the software now, before reinstalling it using the link in the email? Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I didn't think of this issue to begin with; but then the instructions in the email are very specific, so you'd think they'd cover it.

Anyone got any suggestions?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that familiar with ESET AV, however a lot of software does not require any additional install to get the full version working, you just need to enter the registration code somewhere. Try opening the control panel for ESET and see if there is an option somewhere to enter the registration code.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: