Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another blue screen error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: another blue screen error Reply with quote

hello guys, how are you all?? we have had another blue-screen error, this one came up with a bit of info that means NOTHING to me!! read as follows (condensed version!):

this error was caused by file nv4_disp.dll

attempted to write to read-only memory

technical info:
***stop: OXOOOOOOBE (OXA59E1000, OX23BD796A, OXAC639AEO, OXOOOOOOOE)
***nv4_disp.dll
address BFBB2D8C base at BF9D5000, Datestamp 470588dl

then it said it had done a dump of physical memory.

does this mean anything to anyone??? It keeps telling us its caused by hardware or a driver, but nothing new has been added, we have downloaded an update for our graphics card, what other devices would need updating??? any assistance would be greatfully appreciated. our system is running on windows xp home edition.
another question i have is, in a previous page, stag recommended downloading agv anti virus (i think i got the right letters!!!), my daughter has this but says it wont delete trojans?? have you struck any problems with this anti virus ware, and how come its free when all others cost about $100???? could you post the web address for the download again please??
thank you all, cheers Smile
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the graphics card drivers that are giving the blue screen. Do you know what model of graphics card you have?

The antivirus software is AVG - it can be downloaded from http://free.avg.com/

AVG should be able to delete most malware, however no antivirus software can remove everything. If you have something causing a problem, post the details on these forums and we will do our best to help remove it. Remember AntiVirus software is supposed to help you stop getting viruses, rather than remove ones you already have. AVG is free for personal use, not for commercial use, they make their money from companies that want to install it on their systems - and I guess they are just nice Smile
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for helping, i actually suspected it was the graphics card because of the 'nv4'!! Our current graphics card is a nvidia geforce 7600 gs and we did an online update earlier this week, but it blue screened once or twice after that, but hasnt blue screened for the last few days. any way i can check the files for problems or should i uninstall and reinstall the whole thing?? Confused
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...also, could this be causing the changes to our bios settings?????...........................
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you download and install the latest drivers from here.

Drivers will not affect your BIOS settings, they have no control over the BIOS.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so what can change bios settings without our knowledge??
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, we have already downloaded the latest update from that site Very Happy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerrikennel wrote:
ok, so what can change bios settings without our knowledge??

Nothing should really be able to change your BIOS settings, unless you go in to the BIOS Setup utility and change them. There are a few motherboards that have special utilities that allow changes to be made in Windows, but you would still need to make the changes. What makes you think your BIOS settings have changed?
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our computer keeps telling us we have an 'oc error' which the store told us meant some of the bios settings have been changed, but we havent changed anything ourselves. the store upgraded the bios, hoping this would fix it, but two weeks later we are having the same thing, oc errors and blue screen errors. we had another one yesterday, but my son didnt get the info that came up, but he said it was different to the 'nv4' one from the other day..........
just about ready to kill this computer.............
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS settings don't just change themselves, if they were changed then they were changed deliberately. By upgrading the BIOS the settings will have been changed from the original ones.

Try loading the BIOS defaults, see if this makes any difference. If not, then try increasing the AGP aperture size (playing with this setting up or down may have an effect).
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have never changed any bios settings, yet we keep getting an oc error everytime we log on, and the computer keeps shutting off and reloading itself. i am not sure what the bios settings are supposed to be.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you load the default BIOS settings, as I mentioned in my previous post, these should be stable.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: