Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ask search toolbar browser hijack

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Brunobrown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Ask search toolbar browser hijack Reply with quote

My home page has been hijacked by Ask search toolbar browser hijack. How did i get this google redirect virus? Every time I open a new tab some Ask search toolbar comes up. Itís really annoying. Another victim said:Ē My search engine has been attacked by Ask search toolbar, someone give me a removal guide link, But it requires to download sth, so can someone know whether it is reliable? , and my OS is windows 7, Please help!and i donít know how to get rid of it? What do you do then?[/u]
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Ask toolbar is not a virus. Its a toolbar which you have installed along with another piece of software

If you don't want it, then simply uninstall it - it will be listed in add/remove programs and then change your search defaults and home page
stephanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Ask search toolbar browser hijack Reply with quote

Ask offers a web search engine and toolbar which are being promoted via other free programs and once installed on your computer; they will hijack your browser homepage and replace your default search engine.
Ask Toolbar and Search got on your computer after you have installed another free software or add-on that had bundled into their installer this browser hijacker. For example, when you install Java,the Ask will install its toolbar, set your browser homepage to ask.com and change your default search engine to nl.ask.com.

To get rid of Ask search toolbar:
1. First of all, you should download a virus removal tool to scan your computer.
2. Uninstall ask search toolbar program from your computer.
3. Remove ask search toolbar from Web Browsers
MartinKup

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Ask search toolbar browser hijack Reply with quote

I found that "ask search engine" installed as default web search engine instead of google in firefox. Now its impossible to go back to google search engine as "ask" always remains as default search and no other search engins are shown in the firefox list.
Any idea about how to get rid of "ask"? I managed to install another "unofficial google" search plugin but if i click on restore default search engine "ask" will be restored.
Thanks in advance.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Firefox toolbar you should see an icon for Ask, next to where you type in your searches. Click on this then Manage search engines..

From here you can move your preferred search engine to the top, and that will be the default choice.

If Google isn't in that list, click on Get More Search Engines... then from the page that opens select Google Default and click on Add to Firefox
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: