Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATI Driver Help!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
corbo30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: ATI Driver Help! Reply with quote

Hi,

I noticed my system was running slow, and I could hear my machine running constantly. I used www.tasklist.org to help me figure out which programs I could safely turn off in task manager to help optimize my machine's performance. Next, I went to add/remove programs to remove any necessary software to help speed up my computer, in doing this I think I accidently removed my ATI driver. The information on the add/remove page didn't tell me much, and since it was rarely used I thought it would be ok to remove it. Now I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Anyone have any insight to what this driver does, and whether or not I need it?

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 (in which the warrenty has expired so asking Dell for help is a dead end) that is about 3 years old. I also do a lot of graphic design/web design so I have a ton of design software on my computer to include some video software. I went to the Dell website to try and reinstall the ATI driver, but have no idea which driver should be installed as there was a list of about 15 different ATI drivers to choose from....UGH! I'm so frustrated and don't have enough knowledge to figure this out on my own.

Whenever I reboot my computer I get a wizard that pops up that says I have new hardware to install, but it cannot be installed b/c the wizard cannot find it. I've tried loading all the driver cd's that came with my computer to see if the wizard could find what it is looking for, but unsuccessfully.

The last question I have is, since I removed the ATI driver (and this could be totally unrelated) the way my wheel on my mouse is scrolling has changed. I went into control panel>mouse>wheel to try and reset my scrolling to a different setting, but it isn't helping. Scrolling with the mouse wheel has a smooth jerk to it, instead of how it originally would scroll 3 lines stop/scroll 3 lines stop. Not sure if my explainatin is clear, and this is probably a stupid thing to worry about, but it's driving me nutty!

Any help/advice would be so appreciated!!

Thank you!
Corinna
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell website is not very helpful on this. I would recommend trying the ATI Catalyst Drivers, although I hpe you have broadband, this is a seriously big download.

Not sure what to recommend about the mouse. It sounds like you may have removed the drivers for this also, and it is using the generic Windows drivers now. Do you know what mouse you have?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: