Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATI Sapphire HD 5770 1GB DDR5 - Boot up and display issues

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Quin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: ATI Sapphire HD 5770 1GB DDR5 - Boot up and display issues Reply with quote

Well, that's a full title if ever I've seen one.

Anyway, hi all, new to forum. Here because I'll be damned if I can find a support number for AMD, ATI, Sapphire, or anything else in the entire world.

I have an old desktop PC. I replaced the old 350W PSU with a Corsair HX520W Modular Power Supply. It is fully connected. I also replaced my old 160GB hard drive with a 1TB one. I couldn't clone the old one because of a bizarre partition, so I reinstalled Windows on my new hard drive. Everything above went perfectly, but I thought I'd mention them because they are the things that have changed.

My new graphics card, name in title, doesn't work in some degree. When it is not connected to the PSU, I can get display through the onboard VGA and there are no problems. When it is connected, I cannot get a signal from the VGA or the HDMI. All connections are secure. I'm not a tech guy, really, so it's a bit confusing. I have changed the Initial Display Output on the BIOS from VGA to PCI-E; didn't work. I even disabled UMA. That was a catastophe. This is the first and only graphics card to be installed on the PC (or attempted to be installed!).

Please let me know below the information you would need to help me diagnose and solve this issue. Thanks for any input!
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, my guess would be that you're faced with either a faulty graphics card or a faulty PSU. Or that PSU hasn't enough power
I've just been looking online for a spec sheet for that card and can't find one. Does the documentation that came with it specify a min power rating?

Personally I'd try it with a cheap generic 700w PSU - I have to say I've no time for these overpriced fancy flashy modular designs

If that wont work, then go back to the shop and tell them its faulty. I may be doing Sapphire a disservice, but personally I won't touch their products since we had real serious issues with their quality when I was working at Time Computers - but that was a good number of years ago and they may have improved
As to contacting them: their UK / European warranty and tech support was being handled by a company called EQS, but I believe they've been dropped. The tech contact was a guy called Brian Chen. If you can find EQS, maybe they can point you in the right direction

As to contacting Sapphire themselves, about your only hope is to raise an online support ticket at http://support.sapphiretech.com/presentation/member/member_login.aspx

Last edited by JonS on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank JonS. That's pretty much what I was expecting. My dad has the next graphics card up with the same power supply, and it works fine, so I figure it must be the card's fault. Both the power supply and graphics card were free from him, so I'll see what he can do about the graphics card. Fortunately, I haven't lost any money either way.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try your card in his system to see if you get the same problems...
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: