Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

auto-boots after installation usb-driver for card reader

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ghostwhisperer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: auto-boots after installation usb-driver for card reader Reply with quote

Hello and happy new year!
Three days ago i found this generic driver nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe for usb-mass-storage-devices. It paid out. But now i got problems with my pc.

After normal shut-down, it wont stay down but reboot after exactly 20 minutes. I cant say for sure, but i think its kind clock-event ore
something else.
In bios i deactivated all events that may occur bootup. Problem is still there. Its no problem, when i pull out the power-cable, only when i shut down and let it in. I think the system saves the time of shut-down for bootup after 20 minutes.

There are further changes in my system: The general system information (year of Windows 98 (FE !)) changed from date in 1998 to October the 4th in year 2222.
The main-folders and main-functions in the start-menu of Windows are described in English now instead of German.
And when i try to open an excel-sheet directly, Excel97 is overriden by Excel 4.0 now.

Is there another one who had this failures in his system after usb-driver-installation and solved it?

What can i do? (Except for learning better English, i hope you can understand what i mean Very Happy )

THANKS, Torsten
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: auto-boots after installation usb-driver for card reader Reply with quote

ghostwhisperer wrote:
After normal shut-down, it wont stay down but reboot after exactly 20 minutes. I cant say for sure, but i think its kind clock-event ore
something else.
In bios i deactivated all events that may occur bootup. Problem is still there. Its no problem, when i pull out the power-cable, only when i shut down and let it in. I think the system saves the time of shut-down for bootup after 20 minutes.

This doesn't sound like any problem relating to the drivers. If the computer has turned off, software is not capable of turning it back on. Try loading BIOS defaults and ensure that you have no events set to turn the PC on (like Wake on LAN).
ghostwhisperer wrote:
There are further changes in my system: The general system information (year of Windows 98 (FE !)) changed from date in 1998 to October the 4th in year 2222.

This is because the drivers update some of the key Windows files in order to provide USB mass storage support.
ghostwhisperer wrote:
The main-folders and main-functions in the start-menu of Windows are described in English now instead of German.

This is because you have installed English drivers on a German system. There are no German drivers currently for Windows 98 FE. You could reinstall Windows to rectify this, but it will stop the USB mass storage devices working.
ghostwhisperer wrote:
And when i try to open an excel-sheet directly, Excel97 is overriden by Excel 4.0 now.

This is nothing to do with the drivers. Try uninstalling Excel 4.0 and install Excel 97.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
ghostwhisperer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks, i got it but this was very strange Reply with quote

Hello! Thanks for the help.

I found out, that in bios-setup the energy-configuration had a Timer of twenty minutes. After i deactivated it, the auto-boots were history. But this is strange. It should set the active pc to standby-mode after 20 minutes without any action and not turn him on after this time when i turned him off. What kind of mistake is that ??

Maybe all the failures in the system had nothing to do with this usb-driver. But they all arised after this installation. In the past i never had those problems.

One question: why year 2222 ? Is this some kind of travelling time Smile ??

Good Night !!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file is version 4.10.2222 as opposed to the previous version 4.10.1998 - this is not a reference to a date.

If you can get hold of a copy of a German version of explorer.exe version 4.10.2222 then replace the current explorer.exe (c:\windows\explorer.exe) with the German one in MS-DOS mode. This should then restore the German language to your PC.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: