Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bad to worse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
fric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: bad to worse Reply with quote

I'm losing the will to live!

Athlon AMD 2600+
2.10GHz - 2GB Ram (superseded steam drive)
Windows XP SP2
2 x 80GB Hard Drives
Problem sequence:
1. Lost second hard drive – the only way to recover it was to ‘Restore’.
2. If I disconnect power to PC, when I boot up again – back to 1.
3. Eventually ‘Restore’ failed and I had to boot in ‘Safe Mode’ to restore.
4. Ran scans from McAfee, CCleaner, Spyware Doctor, Registry Patrol, ID Patrol and Threatfire.
5. Firefox 4 Beta failed – It would make a search but could not select from results. It froze.
6. Tried to Update Firefox 4 Beta. No difference.
7. Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled. Same result.
8.Uninstalled 4 Beta and Downloaded 3.6. Same result. Currently using IE 7.
9. Now all online activity is slow and ‘Task Manager’ displays heavy CPU usage with various files. Eg mcshield.exe – TFservice.exe – wuauclt.exe – svchost.exe (various) – pctsSvc.exe – sqlsevr.exe – Rapportservice.exe – jqs.exe
Any one or combo of these can take up to 90% CPU and it seems they take it in turns.
10. Suddenly I cannot open e-mail attachments which are in W/Media Player or in Power Point format. Where I used to be able to play them without a problem, I now get “x cannot play this file as it is corrupted” even though the file begins to play.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received and save me from alcohol.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand how you've got the drives arranged - it looks to me as if you're actually booting off a partition on the second drive and not the first? If so that a recipe for disaster as it makes you vulnerable to either drive failing as the MBR will be on the first drive and the active partition on another
Whatever, based on your symptoms I'd say that you've got at least one failing hard drive. I'd guess those 80GB drives must be around 6 years old, and probably well life expired. In my view the way forward (assuming you want to repair the machine and not replace it) would be to fit a single new hard drive and do a clean installation on it. Then transfer any files or data that you need off the old drives.
There is of course the possibility that the IDE controllers on the board are failing, or the data cable has broke - but thats unlikely.
Try testing the two drives: download the relevant test disk ISOs, burn the CD and check them. If you post the make / model of the drives I should be able to post a link to the correct image file for you
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - both McAfee and Spyware Doctor will seriously affect the performance of that machine, especially S-D, and even more so if both are there together.
I'm not saying they're the problem, but having them on the machine will obscure the real issue.
fric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the response, it's nice to know someone cares! The drives are arranged with C (original HD) holding OS and other progs (booting from here) whilst I save all my work, pictures and other documents to E. (160GB is max for M/B) This has been successful for two or three years. I've checked/replaced IDE cables so there is little chance of problems there. I back up all files regularly to an external drive as I realise I am vulnerable due to age (of the machine not me) and I am currently looking to have a go at building my own pc using Intel i5 base.
I think you're right in that these problems seemed to kick off from the install of S/ Doctor, but whilst McAfee might not be conducive to pc speed, I guess I have to have some protection.
What confuses me so is that these problems have appeared sequentially over a couple of weeks and I seem to be going from bad to worse, almost like they are breeding.
I will check the make and model of the drives and get back to you - and a BIG thank you again. I don't know if you'd prefer to be compared to a lifeboat or a jock strap --- but thanks for the support Rolling Eyes
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that makes more sense about the drive arrangement. You're right - you need some kind of AV protection, though I wouldnt put McAfee high on my list of choices. As for Spyware Doctor, get rid (if you can). Trouble is it often wont uninstall cleanly - and then needs a line by line registry clean up. Tedious to say the least!
I'm still of the opinion that you've got a bad hard drive - though the symptoms could well be those of some kind of malware. Could be worth scanning with Hitman Pro, and Combofix and see what happens

Hitman Pro http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro
Combofix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix
fric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now on wifes laptop because I went nuts and tried to update to SP3. What a disaster. It ran for a while before coming up with the usual "SP3 installation failed to complete and XP may not operate correctly".
Now I cannot connect to I/net at all. I have turned off all AV. etc and tried again with same resut. I have booted in Safe Mode and attempted to install and still failed miserably. Now I'm in a worse mess than ever.Downloaded M/S fixit prog and ran that to no effect.
Now thinking in terms of reformatting???? What do you think. If you have any other practical suggestions thet would be most welcome.
Thank for your support.
frank.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for now boot into safe mode, and when you get the prompt, run system restore and get it back to how it was before you started
At least then you should at least be able to use it.

what MS fixit program did you try to use? I'm not aware of one that can untangle this.
Were you trying to install SP3 through windows update or did you download it?
whats the make / model of the machine? Would help if you could identify the system chipset as well.
the way forward really depends on what kind of machine it is
fric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JonS,
Already booted in Safe Mode and 'restored' which returned restore capability in normal mode. Still could not connect to I/net. I tried to load SP3 in the belief this might sort whatever problems I had with Windows Embarassed AS explained I ran MS Fixit (50389) which appeared to have no beneficial effect. SP3 install failed again, then I tried once more out of desperation and it installed successfully? This has returned ability to connect but everything seems very slow and some mail attachments won't open (W/Media player and M/S Publisher based) where I never had that problem previously, and when I click a link in an e-mail it will not open I/explorer automatically any longer.
Checked M/board and chipset details with CPU-Z but there appears to be no way to add an attachment here. For info - KS Rock K7S8X 3.0 M/B with CPU AMD2600+ with SIS 746X chipset.
I can't believe you're taking so much trouble to help me with this, and can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I'm aware that this PC was built when Maddam Butterfly was still a caterpillar and it's time I replaced it but....
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're talking at cross purposes here: an Asrock K7S8X is a desktop motherboard, not a laptop. I assumed in your last post you were talking about the wife's laptop also going wrong...

anyway, based on what you've said it looks like the registry is really screwed up
I'd say its time to cut your losses and reload it

drivers for that board can be downloaded from http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=k7s8x
fric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I confused you - it just reflects my state of mind. No problem with the laptop, just using it in the absence of the desktop. I think it's time for the knackers yard. Thanks again, you obviously have more patience than I do.

Good luck for 2011
frank.
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank
I wouldn't scrap it just yet. I think that Asrock board is really a rebadge/update of a ECS model (K7S6A variant ???) which was reasonably stable (unusual for an SiS chipset board...). As a design it goes back to around 2002/2003
if you reload it, it should go on OK for a while yet. The board may be old-fashioned, but it has at lot of years of design stability behind it. Asrock often acquire the marketing rights to boards that have been discontinued by other makers - it enables them to provide cheap replacement boards for repair companies
fric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're a veritable font of knowledge, you must have put in some hours.
One last question if I may - I'm determined to build my own pc in due course. Would you favour the intel i5 (750/760) or the AMD Phenom 11 x 4 (or alternative). Now I'm retired I rarely use Escel or Acces and I'm not into gaming, but I do use it for video/photo editing; and skype communication as my son lives in Norway.
I'm sure you enjoy what you do but, as I keep saying, I'm so grateful - it's just like the reserve chute opening when the primary has just failed.

Ta very ta JonS.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: