Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

barracuda 7200.12 500gb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
bob_marley

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: barracuda 7200.12 500gb Reply with quote

please can anybody help me as i have a usb barracuda 7200.12 500gb external hardrive and i can not get it to work

1. my usb reckonise the device

2. if i click on my computer and go to manage the hard drive is there but i can not change the drive name.

it would be so helpfull if someone could go through it with me as i need the memory space.

im runing windows xp

all my usb devices are working fine

yes this device has worked fine before i had to reformat my laptop since i have done this i can not use barracuda 7200.12 500gb

on my computer i had two drives one was a c drive and the usb storage was e drive now i only have c drive.

many thanks bob
JonS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did n't see that Softstag had already moved your post to a new thread then?
OK, I'll re-ask the questions I posed there:

!) has this drive ever worked? Has it just stopped working, or is it new and never worked?
2) is the power supply plugged in and working?
3) what happens if you try it on another USB port?
4) what happens if its plugged into another computer?
5) what is the make / model and operating system of the computer?
6) is it plugged directly into the PC or into a hub?
7) what other USB devices do you have? Do they work OK?
Cool what is the origin of this drive? The Seagate barracuda 7200.12 is an INTERNAL drive. It could be someone else has put it in a caddy - what make / model was it sold as?
bob_marley

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has this drive ever worked? Has it just stopped working, or is it new and never worked?

Yes I had it working fine before i reformated my computer.

is the power supply plugged in and working? yes all ok.

what happens if you try it on another USB port? I have no problem there im running a usb mouse

what happens if its plugged into another computer? I plugded it into my daughters computer and it the same as if was plugged into mine

what is the make / model and operating system of the computer? ok im runnin a acer aspire 6920g with the operating system windows xp

is it plugged directly into the PC or into a hub? it is not part of the computer it needs to be plugged into a usb port

it was bought as a external hard drive from asda
JonS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"what happens if its plugged into another computer? I plugded it into my daughters computer and it the same as if was plugged into mine "

you probably identified the problem there
If it doesn't work on two machines then its probably dead.
What we don't know is whether its the drive inside that has failed, or the circuitry of the caddy enclosure.
Only way to find out would be to take it apart, remove the hard drive and either mount that in another caddy, or mount it inside a computer using the SATA connectors.
Could be either, but I'd rate it more likely that the actual drive has failed rather than the caddy
bob_marley

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: cont Reply with quote

the external hard drive works fine ther is nothing wrong there the problem is the computer does not reckonise it it to do with the settings
JonS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you said "I plugded it into my daughters computer and it the same as if was plugged into mine " I took it that it failed to work on both.

OK, so we'e faced with the fact you've reformatted it. After you reinstalled windows did you install all the required system & motherboard drivers? Were you given a driver CD when you got the machine?
bob_marley

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i did not get a cd when i got the machine but my mate got the hard drive working once befofre but asking him to pop over and do it again is like asking for a miricle i know it works i just do not know how to get it working when i reformated the computer i got all the drivers from acer home page and they have all been installed when i put the usb in the computer a little mesage pops up i the bottom right hand corner of the screen and says device working propley and if i go into device manager it all seems ok maybe you could go through it step by step with me i do apreciate your time and effort but i can gaurantee the hard drive is ok and not dead
JonS

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

computers have more than one USB port. What haopens if you plug it into a different USB port?

In "device manage" are there any errors listed? or under "USB devices" is there an "unknown" device listed?

What other USB devices do you have plugged in?
bob_marley

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: continued Reply with quote

ok i only have a usb mouse and that works fine in all usb ports right then i have clicked on device manager and yes you are corect there is a usb and it has a exlamation mark by it and this is what it says drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 2Cool

hope this helps

cheers bob
JonS

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete that entry and unplug the drive
turn the drive off
plug it back in - still off
then turn the drive back on. Generally these external don't like being plugged in when on
And if that doesn't work on one USB port, try it on the others
bob_marley

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: contin Reply with quote

yes i have tried this but no change does not matter what usb port i blug it into but if i right click on my computer and go to manage i can see it there but there is no letter by the drive as i said before it used to be e drive before i reformated my computer now it shows it being there but no letter
bob_marley

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: might help Reply with quote

if i click my computer then c drive right click and go to properties that shows three things

cd drive

c drive

and my usb hard drive
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: