Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery life for laptops?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Battery life for laptops? Reply with quote

Hi.

I was just given a Toshiba laptop. I don't know how old it is (but it has WIN2000 on it).

In general, how long can one use a laptop without the adapter? This one lasted about an hour. I know it was in storage for quite awhile (few years?). Is it possible to get a new battery that would last a few hours?

Thanks Smile
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an old laptop, 1 hour is not bad! Most laptops will give 2-3 hours on a battery, although this is very much dependant upon what you are using the laptop for at the time.

You can get new batteries, however almost every different model of laptop has it's own unique battery. You will need to know the model of the laptop you have (usually the model number is printed on the bottom of the laptop). Please be aware that it may be cheaper to buy a new cheap laptop that will probably be higher spec than this one, than it is to buy a new battery for this laptop.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Really? I'm surprised. I thought they were like cell phones and once charged, they'd go for an entire day.

Well, the laptop I have was free. I can't afford one right now so that is why it was given to me.

To clarify, If I DID get a new one, it would only be 2-3 hours on a battery?
I tested mine today and it was approx. 1.5 hours. Again, not sure how old it is. I just haven't had time to ask the person who gave it to me.

But another friend has one but her battery only lasts one hour as well. Hers is newer, I think, but I'm not sure.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like mobile phones, the ability of the battery to hold a charge deteriorates over time, and is also dependant upon how it has been used.

Toshiba laptops do offer at the longer end of battery life, but I think you would be very lucky if a new battery will offer you 3 hours under normal use. Manufacturers often quote a reasonable battery life, however this is only possible with the screen dimmed, no use of the CD drive and with the hard drive not being accessed.

Battery life has always been a limiting factor for laptops, however how often are you more than an hour away from a power source when using a laptop? For most people that is almost never - many trains, even some planes, have power sockets by the seat where you can plug in your laptop.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: