Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before installing nusb320-ENG-98FE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sylvester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Before installing nusb320-ENG-98FE Reply with quote

I have a new flash drive that doesn't offer 98 drivers. I also have an existing flash drive and card reader that offer 98 drivers, which I have installed. I only plug one of them in at a time when needed. They work fine and don't offer a safe removal tool in sys tray.

The nusb320-ENG-98FE driver install instructions say to remove all drivers for USB FLASH DRIVES in DEVICE MANAGER. My question is this…Based on the following information, do I need to uninstall the drivers for my existing flash drive and card reader before installing the new generic drivers? Also, is the only way to uninstall this new driver by reverting back to a prior registry backup?

The flash drive doesn’t show up in the Add/Remove Programs list or in Device Manager, even when plugged in. It just shows up as a “removable drive” in My Computer. The uninstall instructions from the manufacturer just say to remove the folder that is installed upon installation. The card reader shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list but not in device manager. The uninstall instructions are to remove using the Add/Remove Programs list.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't remove the drivers, then try installing anyway. Restoring a previous registry backup may not uninstall the drivers properly, as the driver files will still be there.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sylvester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to beat this thing to death but I would be considered an amateur when compared to you guys and gals. I appreciate your patience and insight. You have probably noticed my other posting with this same topic but it did originally start out with a slightly different direction.

It is not that I can't remove the drivers for my older devices. I was just trying to say that the instructions are to "remove all drivers for USB flash drives in Device Manager" but mine don't show there, so do I really need to uninstall them?

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't show in Device Manager, or in Add/Remove Programs, then it is very difficult to uninstall. Chances are that it will make no difference whether you uninstall or not, but it is good practice to do so where possible, and reduces the risk of it going wrong.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sylvester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoftStag.

As I explained in another post I had installed the new generic nusb320-ENG-98FE driver, without removing my originals, with the intent that I would restore to an older registry if things went awry. Then I learned that probably wouldn't uninstall the new driver anyway, as well as I didn't do the Registry restore correctly. Darn newbies. Anyway, I was left with all installed so I removed what I could of the old ones as per their manufactures' instuctions and everything seems to work great.

OK, so now that everyone is up to speed on the bone head factor here, I have now learned that the Windows 98 Service Pack that you should install prior to the new generic driver is not my "Microsoft Windows 98 Service Pack 1" that I already have installed.

Is my next questions obvious? Should I now install this Service Pack? What comes after Bone Head?

Thanks for your help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to install it. However, it may fix a few 98 bugs and make the whole thing a little more stable. You may just be happy that it's working as is and decide not to.
sylvester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag;

Thank you very much for your help.

P.S. Noticed you missing a few days, I hope it was for pleasure.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

I've just been very busy really.... Not much pleasure in that! lol
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: