Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blue screen error

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: blue screen error Reply with quote

hello all, this is a wonderful site, I am glad to join. I have a problem with an error page that shuts off my computer while my son plays his WOW game over the internet. It says something about shadows and cacheing?? and my son seems to think its the video card, but Im wondering if theres a way to check the computer myself to locate the problem, or will I have to get in a technician. I have checked the hardware and it says its all running correctly. thanks for any help!!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

I need to know what version of Windows you are using. Also, would I be correct in saying that you get a blues screen, then the PC reboots itself before you can read the error message properly?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: blue screen error Reply with quote

[quote="SoftStag"]Welcome to the forums.

we are using windows xp and you are correct, the screen disappears before we can read it. we had our ram replaced because the shop said it was corroded on the contacts, but the blue screen happened after this, then the shop ran it for two days and it didnt happen once!! we have replaced our graphics card but are still experiencing freezing and colour scrambling in WOW gameplay, tho in the last 8 hours no blue screen!!! Im a single mum and cant afford anymore repairs or upgrades so anything we can do at home would be great. the shop says only course left is a complete wipe of the computer and reload our programs back on.......
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this shop is giving good advice. The first thing we need to do is prevent the PC restarting when it blue screens. This way you can at least write down the error and let us know what it is, this will help to diagnose the problem. To do this, do the following:
Arrow Right click My Computer, then click Properties
Arrow Go to the Advanced tab, then Startup and Recovery and uncheck Automatically Restart

You say that you have replaced the graphics card, what card have you put in? Also, any other specifications of the PC will help.

You say that the PC is freezing, does it only do this in games? Or can it do this if the PC running other applications? If it is only doing it in games, is it doing it after a similar amounts of time, or is it totally random?

I suspect 1 of 2 things is possibly happening here, either the new graphics card draws too much power for the power supply, or the card is overheating.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the graphics card we used to have was a NVIDIA 6000 SERIES, it was in the computer for nearly two years before this problem started, now we have a NVIDIA PX7600 and the graphics are still screwing up as much as before in gameplay. What happens is during WOW play, all the background disappears, and when you exit to windows the colour is all screwed up and the icons are larger than normal. It all goes back to normal when the computer is restarted. This was occuring about four times an hour last night but at random times. We have had one episode of blue screen error yesturday when my daughter was sending an email out via yahoo. I tried following your directions but when I opened properties the AUTOMATICALLY RESTART box was already unchecked????????
other specs are as follows, I hope this is what you need (as Im computer illiterate, I copied from the original receipt!!):
intel pentium 4-531
GIGABYTE GA-81915P PRO (processor)
GIGABYTE GV-NX66256 DP (hard drive?)
2 X 512 MB RAM (RECENTLY REPLACED AS ABOVE)

If you tell me where to get the info u need, i can retrieve it for you, I will check this site more often during the week.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: