Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blue screen error

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: blue screen error Reply with quote

HELP!! we are getting a blue screen error that causes our comp to shut down. details we are getting are:

OC FAIL

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

***STOP:OxOOOOOO4E (OxOOOOOO8F, OxOOO35CA5, OxOOOOEDE5, OxOOOOOOOO)

any assistance would be appreciated Confused
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions...

Does this happen when you are doing anything in particular?
Have you made any changes to your system recently? (installed new software or hardware)
Am I right to assume this is Windows XP?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
pokefan_frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to this http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=334 PFN stands for Page Frame Database.

Very breifly put, the Page Frame Database tells Windows what parts of the memory (RAM and on-disk virtual memory) are assigned to what programs, when the program last stored something on a given part, and in what order the program should read these parts.

The Ox... numbers are memory addresses: where the program that "went bad" was working on. You usually need a memory dump to make sense of them.

Aparently ( according to http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1034931646 ), this is mainly caused by faulty drivers (usually memory stick drivers). Have you installed any new drivers recently? and was the device that asked for this driver connected when your computer blue-screened?
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: error Reply with quote

ok, the oc problem appears to be fixed, seems something in our "bios" had been changed even tho we didnt do anything to it! but the blue screen error is occuring when we seem to be doing a complete virus scan and update with our Norton 360 program. the error tells us there is a problem with a driver or a new one installed but we havent changed any thing for months. I cant remember where to go to check our drivers, or how to update them in case thats the problem, and i also have been unable to change the settings in the norton program to do with auto protect to stop virus's getting thru. do you think it would work to delete the whole norton program and re-install it??
pokefan_frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a way to configure your antivirus to scan everything but the drivers, you could probably continue operating it that way. If you re-install it, probably one of the first things it will try to do is a compleate virus scan of everything, including the drivers, in which case it will crash.

edited for a typo
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: blue screen error Reply with quote

apparently our norton anti virus was missing a few files, the norton website has fixed the problem for us, and so far no problem.........thanks for the assistance so far guys, I will let you know how things progress:D
goddamm computers, i keep telling my son to become a computer techie, it would save me a fortune in money and grief!!!!!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't recommend Norton, it seems to cause a lot of problems and slows down your system considerably. I would recommend using AVG as it is good and free.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: