Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BLUE SCREENS

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
matti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: BLUE SCREENS Reply with quote

hope this is the correct place to ask for help.have just registered .am a newly retired lady with no technical knowledge im afraid.am getting blue screens almost daily now.only new installation is itunes but ive had this since last november.upgraded to broad band december.afraid computer will crash altogether.really appreciate any help which can help me.thank you. Sad Sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Yes this is the right place to be asking for help!

Blue Screens, or Blue Screens of Death (BSoD) as they are affectionately known indicate a fairly major problem, one from which Windows is unable to recover. They can be caused by many things, it could be a problem with some software or it could be something with the hardware itself (the computer).

In order to try and find out what is causing this, I need to know a few things..
Arrow What version of Windows are you using? (98, Me, XP?)
Arrow Does the blue screen stay long enough to read the text? (I'm guessing so)
Arrow If you can read the text, is it always the same?
Arrow Again, if you can read the text, what does it say? There will probably be a lot of numbers and meaningless strings of data, I don't need these, just anything that sounds like an error or contains a filename.
Arrow Has the frequency of the BSoDs changed?
Arrow Do you get the BSoD when you are doing anything in particular?
Arrow Do you only get BSoDs when the computer has been on a while?

Sorry for the thousand questions, but at the moment, it could be almost anything!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
matti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Blue Screens Reply with quote

Many,many thanks for replying so quickly.I have tried various helplines without success. The BSoDs are becoming more frequent im afraid.they can appear when i am just connecting to aol or at any other time i am online.
the letters BAD-POOL-CALLER appears on most of the screens.
i have an XP home edt.
im keeping notes on when they appear;
1 on 31st Jan
1 on 5th Feb
1 today.
Before this i was getting 1 every 5-7 days.
before broad band none at all.
regards, anne
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there is some good news - it doesn't sound like the problem is with the PC itself, more likely a software issue.

Bad Pool Caller issues are usually caused by problematic drivers (most likely for your broadband modem), and also interestingly by iTunes!

Given that the problems started when you got broadband, I would suggest that the problem is most likely with the modem drivers. Drivers are pieces of software that enable devices, like the modem, to be controlled by the computer software. I would recommend trying to obtain the latest drivers and install those to see if this solves the problem.

In order to do this, we will need to identify what the modem is, and find the drivers for it. I assume the modem is an external one, if so can you look to see if it mentions any model numbers, manufacturers names etc so we can try to locate updated drivers?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
matti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Blue Screen Reply with quote

ive written down everything on the modem! modem is bt voyager190 adsl.
serial no. xxxxxxxxxxxx
ethnet mac address mac'xxxxxx-xxxxxx
thank you.
i did have my itunes before i got broadband and husband states i had a blue screen before we got BB! i cannot remember im afraid.hope this helps.prepared to lose itunes if require and find alternative
anne
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can live without iTunes for a couple of weeks, I'd uninstall it to see if it gets better. Or you could check to see what version you've got, 7.0.2 is now available for a free download so if youve not got that you should upgrade. It might help! Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the MAC address and serial numbers from your post, for security reasons.

Looking at the details of your modem, it looks like you have an ethernet connection (looks a bit like telephone connection), rather than USB (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, then the modem will not have any drivers, and that can't be causing the problem.

I think Steve is right, the problem is more likely down to iTunes. Try installing the latest version to see if that helps, or remove it completely.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: