Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sammyboi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Boot problem Reply with quote

I need some help. About 5 months ago my ASUS X58L was infected by a virus that blasted its way through the sandbox, antivirus and firewall. It changed all my registery, wiped the factory recovery sector and corrupted the HDD. Since then I kept getting BSOD shortly after start up. I ran an Antivirus scan and removed the Trojan virus, however it didn't remove the folder that contained the virus, and the problem persisted. Once I had removed the folder and ran Glary Utilities to recover the bad enteries in the Registry this gave me access to the factory recovery partition.

I ran the factory recovery and this is where the real trouble began and is still a problem to this date.

Once the factory recovery had finished the computer automatically restarted. I continued through the Windows Vista setup, hit Finish and immediately was faced with the BSOD again.

With the error code being:
STOP: 0x00000007E - 0x0000000005

Following the automatic restart, it took me back to the beginning of the Window Vista setup and continues to do so everytime I hit Finish. I try to run in safe mode and it won't allow me to do so saying "Windows cannot complete the install in Safe Mode. Restart in Normal Mode". Which I can't do because it takes me back to the beginning of the setup.

Obviously I can't install program to automatically fix the problem. I tried to repair with a Windows CD that I got from my local PC place. Also I explain the situation to them and they were as stumped as I was. So, is there a way to fix the problem?
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP: 0x00000007E is usually a driver issue.
And its most commonly seen with Windows XP when a software preload has the wrong chipset drivers

You've said a lot in your post, but not actually given us any useful information.
So, some questions
Which virus do you think you got?
Which antivirus software did you use?
You say "wiped the factory recovery sector and corrupted the HDD" yet after running a utilities program you were able to run a factory recovery. Something wrong there, wiping is wiping -i.e.NOT recoverable.
You say you tried to repair with a windows CD - is this a real Microsoft setup disk or some kind of homebrew disk? How does the printing on the disk describe it?

A few possible things come to mind
1) the image is still corrupt
2) the disk is for the wrong version of windows
3) the disk isn't a real MS installation disk
4) it wasn't a virus - but a failing harddrive
5) it wasn't a virus - but a crashed antivirus program created the damage
6) that Clarysoft stuff has caused damage. Past experience is that programs such as this cause more problems than they solve - and any (as in this case) which provides a link to the Brothersoft homepage is immediately suspect

At this stage my gut feeling is that you've probably got a hard drive fault. However you may find that totally nuking the hard drive and doing a clean installation may fix it. That means totally formatting and reinstalling - forget this "repair" stuff
You say its an ASUS laptop - do you know who actually assembled it? ASUS latops usually come as a kit of parts from China, to be assembled locally by a reseller
sammyboi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted - format did it. Thanks mate.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: