Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

boot problems

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jord_3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: boot problems Reply with quote

When i start my computer (celeron) the boot gets as far as the first load screen( titled american megatrends) then it stops after saying initializing USB controllers... please help!

Thanks!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try disconnecting any peripherals that are plugged in to the PC. If that doesn't make any difference then you will need to go in to the BIOS. It should say on that initial screen something like Press Del to enter Setup - you need to press the key it says. Once there you need to Load Defaults there are usually prompts about what buttons need to be pressed to make changes. Once defaults have been loaded select the option to Save and exit. The computer should now reboot.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
jord_3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help- il give it a try but only sometimes will it let me do anything on that screen, usually its frozen and wont respond to anything!
thanks again
jord_3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried that today- unplugged everything even the screen and turned on the computer and it loaded normally- but when i plugged the screen keyboard and mouse back in it froze and when restarted it wouldnt load past that screen again!

Do you know if its anything i have done to it?!

Thanks alot
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't plug in keyboards and mice when the PC is on - unless they are USB. If they are PS2, make sure that they are connected the correct way round - mouse in mouse socket, keyboard in keyboard socket - some PCs will not boot if they are not correctly connected. Also, try a different keyboard and mouse - it could be that one of these is faulty and preventing the PC from booting.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jord_3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it still has only loaded up properly once with everything not plugged it- now when i try turning on the tower on its own it still does the same thing and wont get past initialising usb controllers even with nothing plugged in!

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Faulty mobo Reply with quote

It sounds like the motherboard is faulty. You should get this looked at/exchanged.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: