Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Up help

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
manofgresley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Boot Up help Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am a newbie to this site, i hope you can help me.

I use a DELL Optiflex GX 620 desktop pc. To my horror I think I have attracted a virus, I can no longer get my pc to Boot up??

When I switch on the power to the pc, a few seconds pass, then I get a message on a black screen it say's "Enter System Password Now" nothing I have done so far gets me past this screen, can anyone help.

I think my next move is to get into the set up page and change the Boot order to Boot up from the CD - ROM first, at the moment it wants to Boot from the FDD first.

Ray
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the implication behind that message is that someone has set a BIOS password on the machine. You won't be able to do anything with it unless you reset the password
Assuming the machine has a traditional BIOS then there should be a jumper on the motherboard which will reset the BIOS to its defaults
However the machine MAY have an EFI-type BIOS, or if it originated with a business may even have a TPM security chip - neither of which can be over-ridden by a jumper
Go to the Dell website and look up the support manual for that machine - it should tell you where the jumper is on the motherboard
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: