Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BSOD problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sijie123

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: BSOD problems Reply with quote

Hi its me again.
After my previous post on the fan problem, i have cleaned the fan very thoroughly, to the extent that i cannot even see dirt on the fan panels. However, i still experience problems.
Now, i get the BSOD (Hardware Malfunction.Contact Hardware vendor) on my computer. However, after the umpteenth time of hardware scans by the Dell Hardware Utility at boot time, I get the answer that there is no problem with my hardware. My computer also hangs sometimes... The BSOD usually happens during an intensive RAM and CPU usage program. Now i have came down to a few problems. Can you kindly help me diagnose the problems?
The problems might be:
1. Software
2. Hardware (includes RAM, Hard disk, keyboard, mouse, etc)
3. Registry
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it is doing this when you are working the computer hard suggests that it is probably an overheating issue.

Are you able to provide the exact message on the BSOD to give us an idea of what the cause might be?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
demdike

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softstag's right - we really could do with the exact details of that BSOD
You usually get an error of the type
"stop 0xooooooooab" with a text string explaining the problem
we need the stop message, and the text sting

there are several problems it could be: it could well be overheating - it may be that the thermal pad/fluid on the CPU heatsink or on the graphics chip (especially if a laptop) has failed and needs replacing. if its a laptop DON'T try this yourself - get an engineer to look at it. On a laptop the chances of cracking the boards are too high

However looking at your previous threads I feel that theres a good chance that you still have some kind of viral problem or even possibly a corrupted hard drive. The previous post regarding a file that would not delete from the desktop is very suggestive of both - and ieher could cause BSODs

Personally before doing anything else with this machine I would back up al your personal data files to an external drive and then reformat and completely reinstall it., and then see where you get to from there. Given the machines recent history of malware infection I would say the probabilities are you are still infected
sijie123

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K thx for the replies. The blue screen error shows a hardware malfunction.
*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support.
*** The System Has Halted ***
However, in my last post, the computer just suddenly shut down instead of giving me a blue screen error. Can someone assist me in the difference?
Also, demdike mentioned about reinstalling my OS. Well, i do not wish to do so if i can solve the problem just like that.
sijie123

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K thx for the replies. The blue screen error shows a hardware malfunction.
*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support.
*** The System Has Halted ***
However, in my last post, the computer just suddenly shut down instead of giving me a blue screen error. Can someone assist me in the difference?
Also, demdike mentioned about reinstalling my OS. Well, i do not wish to do so if i can solve the problem just like that.
demdike

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much self-diagnostic really

the motherboard has failed probably due to overheating
IF you can sort the cooling problem then you MAY get it going again, but I doubt it. Usually anything that gives that kind of error is on a one-way trip to the bin
EITHER
srap it and buy something else
OR
get a computer professional to look at it to try to sort out the cooling. But don't assume he's going to be able to fix it
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much in agreement with Demdike on this. I've seen this error before and only once fixed it, that was due to the GPU overheating on a tower unit due to bad air circulation. My feeling is either the CPU or GPU (probably CPU) has caused overheating, and either damaged itself, or other components, or needs to have it's heatsink and fan removed and replaced. This is not a job for an amateur, it needs to go to a pro and may not be viably repairable.

I would suggest going with the format and reinstall just to see if that works. Nothing to lose.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
demdike

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a laptop, so what is most likely to have happened is that - probably - the GPU has pulled away from the motherboard due to the thermal expansion
On most laptops the only way to fix this is to put the whole motherboard into a reflow oven and try to remake the solder joints
Not many people can do it, and it works in less than 50% of attempts - and its liely to go wrong again. You'd also need to remove/reseat/replace the coolonghat pipes and use new thermal fluid / paste and make sure they were all seated correctly.
Machines with Nvidia graphis are especially prone to the problem: they have a design fault which makes the graphic chip likely to fail completely when this happens.
as Steve said, it could be that the CPU has/is overheating, in which case stripping out and repairing the cooling system (as above) MAY get it going again, but usually by now the damage has been done. And if you try it yourself you stand more chance of causing further damage by cracking the motherboard. Time to accept defeat and understand not all things can be fixed by the untrained.
sijie123

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but before we go on, i suddenly have another feeling that it might not be due to the overheating problem. (sorry for the misdirections)
My computer restarts itself at around 45 degrees Celsius. That is not that hot, i bet, and sometimes, it can go way up to 50 degrees Celsius without restarting. Just yesterday, as i was clicking a link to a webpage, the computer shuts down itself. Usually, when i click many buttons at once, or when i do an action, then the computer will restart. It does not restart "anytime" it likes, rather after a random action given by me, then it will restart. Is it because of problems like registry? i have tuned them up (according to Iolo System Mechanic 9.5) but there is still problems. Last night on bed, i was thinking of what my friend said : I can modify the registry such that when i press a specific set of buttons, it will go BSOD. Is it true?
Also, the day b4, when i returned to my computer after my dinner, the first key i touched, Ctrl, made my computer auto restart. Can you give me an explanation for this?
P.S. I do not wish to reinstall my OS if unnecessary.
Also, pls look at my newest post on Windows 7.
demdike

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problems you mentioned earlier are a HARDWARE fault.
All the symptons you mention in your last post are consistent with a HARDWARE problem. To fix that you need to identify the hardware fault, and the most likely problem is overheating of the GPU or CPU
I dont care what you may think about it "restarting at 45" - life is not that simple. It can easily heat liocally to a point where parts get fried before rebooting

Now you talk about the registry. Well, if you've been messing with System Mechanic or similar then the registry probably is scuppered. That program causes more problems than it fixes. However given the viral history its quite probable that registry damage was caused there. But thats not the main problem.
Now, assuming there is registry damage, how are you going to find it? Trying to identify any registry errors is like trying to find a spec of dust on the moon while using a milkbottle as a telescope. It ain't going to work
If yoy think you have registry problems, do what you've been told already by Softstag - and reload the machine. Thats the only way you'll cure them. However even then you will still have a hardware issue to resolve
sijie123

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i considered your advices but before i reinstall my system, i would like to test if the fault lies with the hardware or the software. Therefore, yesterday, i removed my battery and instead plugged the computer to an AC plug. Everything worked fine till now, no restarts, no nothing. temperature is maintained at 35-44 degrees Celsius and theres no BSOD either. However, i am still not sure if the problem lies with the battery. I done hardware tests on my battery and AC power but all tests passed. So, is the problem with the battery? Is there any tests that could be done to find out? Also, why would the computer heat up and reboot due to the battery?
demdike

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read these and see if your battery is affected

http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

http://support.dell.com/support/batteryrecall/index.aspx/en/main

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Identify.aspx

and just what do you mean by "I done hardware tests on my battery and AC power but all tests passed."? Just what tests?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: