Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help with Adobe Photoshop Album?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
bobmac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Can anyone help with Adobe Photoshop Album? Reply with quote

This is probably going to sound like quite a dumb problem, but I'm hoping it can be resolved...

I use photoshop album starter edition on my computer. In order to create more memory space on my computer, I copied all of my photos to cd's and then deleted the files from the computer. I have now discovered that one of the cd's did not save the photos (even though the disk says it's full) and so now I have no holiday snaps. I have deleted the memory cards from the camera too.

If I go into photoshop though, it still displays thumbnails of all of the photos that I deleted although I can't open them or save them anywhere else. Does this mean that my computer still has them in it's memory somewhere? If so, how can I restore them and retrieve them?

I'm hoping that this is possible as there are 342 holiday pics that I will never be able to get back...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like the photos are gone. Depending on how much you have used your computer since deleting the files, it might be possible to recover some or all of them.

I am not overly familiar with PhotoShop Album, but most of these programs create a database and store the thumbnail pictures either in the database or in a folder on the hard drive. These pictures are smaller versions of the originals, and it uses them as they are quicker to load and deal with than the originals. If you open a picture from the thumbnail, it will open the original picture (the one you deleted) and hence this is no longer working.

Before we get in to the complicated bits of data recovery, you should try the basics.
Arrow Double click on the Recycle Bin on the Desktop. Do any of your pictures appear there? If so, right click on them and select Restore - these files will be returned to their original location on your hard drive.
Arrow Go to Start - Search - For Files or Folders.... In the new window select Pictures, music or video. Put a tick in Pictures and Photos, leave everything else blank and click on Search. This will search your hard drive for any pictures. It may find the thumbnails of the original ones you lost. If you are lucky it may find copies of the originals somewhere.

If none of the above worked, then you will need to look in to seeing if it is possible to recover the deleted files. When files are deleted, they actually remain on the hard drive, only they are marked as deleted. If the disk space they take up is required, they will be overwritten and then lost forever. There are tools available that can find these files and recover them. The one I would recommend is File Recover; however the download is a demo, it will let you find deleted files, but not recover them. You will need to pay $29.95 for the full version that will allow recovery. Check with the demo that the files are there first, then go for the full version if it looks like it can recover them for you.

This is a good example of why you should always keep a backup (more than 1 copy) of important files. I use ImageShack to upload all my pictures to as well as keeping them on my PC. If anything should happen to my PC, I know I can get them back. This also has the added benefit of being able to access the pictures anywhere.

Please let us know how you get on with this.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: