Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I find out my Wifi password?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Can I find out my Wifi password? Reply with quote

Actually it's my mum's. I'm in portugal with my laptop but she doesn't know her password for access to her wifi. Not sure if I explained that clearly enough soz.

Anyway, I wondered if the password is stored on her pc somewhere? Or if there were some way of finding out what it is. This is a legitimate question btw not for hacking into unknown routers!!!

All I know is that its a Wireless Router called D-Link model-DVA-G3170/PT its hard to read but think thats right.

Thanks

Scott
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the router was preconfigured by the ISP, then sometimes they very kindly put the key on a sticker on the router. Otherwise, the key will be stored in the registry, however I don't think it is in human readable format. You can use software such as Wireless Key View to retrieve these. Alternatively, log in to the router and change the key - you will need to update all attached devices.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicked will give that a go and report bk Wink

Thanks a lot softie Very Happy

Scott
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the program but it comes up with absolutely nothing. Is this due to a possible third party software controlling the wireless router?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the wireless card isn't controlled via Windows.

I would change the code in the router so you know what it is.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably the wireless card isn't controlled via Windows.

Not really sure what you mean by that. On which pc you talking about? Mine or my mums?

The setup is as follows: Phone/Broadband line goes to router with lead to mums pc. I want to connect to the router wirelessly via my laptop but am asked for password. Itried that program on both pc's but nothing showed. I have no idea what to do next. I tried finding via google software to hack into it but that not working either Mad Crying or Very sad

Mums pc is xp mine is vista HPsp2.

Quote:
I would change the code in the router so you know what it is.

Er... excuse me? What code? How do I do that?

[btw, why is it when I add smiley's or use bold/underline/quote/etc does it go to the end of the message instead of at the cursor location?]
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to install that software on a PC that connects wirelessly to the router. If there is no such PC, then you will need to configure the router.

You will need to log in to the router, usually by going to the IP of the router from a PC connected to the router via an ethernet cable. Enter the username/password for the router, then configure the WEP/WPA settings to have a key that you know. Now when you connect wirelessly you use the new key (password).

Quote:
[btw, why is it when I add smiley's or use bold/underline/quote/etc does it go to the end of the message instead of at the cursor location?]
That's just the way it works, it's a feature Wink
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to install that software on a PC that connects wirelessly to the router. If there is no such PC, then you will need to configure the router.

understood. but the software had no installer when i opened the folder it had some folders and files with file ext .FILE what does that mean?

Quote:
You will need to log in to the router, usually by going to the IP of the router from a PC connected to the router via an ethernet cable. Enter the username/password for the router, then configure the WEP/WPA settings to have a key that you know. Now when you connect wirelessly you use the new key (password).

If I could do that surely i'd be able to access the network anyway and wouldn't be asking for help! Confused

I know you are far more knowledgable about these things than I, but does that make sense?

That is the actual problem, some portuguese pc person installed it all for my mum and she has no knowledge of the router setup details, ie the user name or password.

Thanks oh soft one

Edit-
on the side of the router is a serial no and a WPA key 20 digits long. I tried this as password but no luck.

I looked further at aircrack and it appears its primarily geared for linux as it says windows is crack for wireless detection!

Edit 2-
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7585_102-0.html?threadID=239104

Found this and it describes how to reset a D-Link router but I am wary in case I need to set anything up again. Will it continue to work as it is now but just reset the username and password?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Quote:

understood. but the software had no installer when i opened the folder it had some folders and files with file ext .FILE what does that mean?

I've not tried using this software so I'm not really sure. The idea is that it takes the WEP/WPA key from the registry. This of course assumes that it is stored there by Windows and not 3rd party software controlling the Wireless card. Your mum's PC connects via ethernet, so this software is useless.

sl23 wrote:
Quote:

If I could do that surely i'd be able to access the network anyway and wouldn't be asking for help! Confused

I know you are far more knowledgable about these things than I, but does that make sense?

That is the actual problem, some portuguese pc person installed it all for my mum and she has no knowledge of the router setup details, ie the user name or password.

Thanks oh soft one

Edit-
on the side of the router is a serial no and a WPA key 20 digits long. I tried this as password but no luck.

I looked further at aircrack and it appears its primarily geared for linux as it says windows is crack for wireless detection!

Edit 2-
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7585_102-0.html?threadID=239104

Found this and it describes how to reset a D-Link router but I am wary in case I need to set anything up again. Will it continue to work as it is now but just reset the username and password?

OK, I think there is some confusion over what "password" is being referred to. I'll try and clarify what I am saying... The wireless connection to the router requires either a WEP or WPA key - this is the password I am assuming you are referring to. The router will have a username and password to allow you to log in to it's configuration settings - this is unrelated to the WEP/WPA key, however if you log in to the router configuration you can change the WEP/WPA key.

Now, from what you have said, the router has a WPA key written on the side of it. This should be what you need to connect to the wireless network, unless it has been changed, or the router is configured to allow only certain PCs to connect (unlikely, but possible).

If that doesn't work, then you need to log in to the router configuration, and change the wireless configuration with a WEP/WPA key of your choosing. To do this, find the IP of the router (this will be the default gateway when you run the ipconfig command from a command prompt on your mum's PC) and go to that IP from a browser on a PC connected to the router via ethernet - normally the URL would be http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/. This will ask you for a username and password - you can Google your router model to find the default settings, however if this has changed then you have no option to reset the router back to defaults.

If you reset the router back to defaults, you will need to configure it from scratch, this includes putting in all the ISP settings like the connection username and password, and setting up all the wireless networking etc. Don't do this unless you know all the required connection settings, and remember while it is not working you have no internet connection - so not really recommended.

I hope this explains a bit better.
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you understand what it is i am trying to do? Simply put i'm trying to access my mums wifi router using my laptop but when connecting i need to type a password of some sort but it is not known.

Quote:
The idea is that it takes the WEP/WPA key from the registry. This of course assumes that it is stored there by Windows and not 3rd party software controlling the Wireless card. Your mum's PC connects via ethernet, so this software is useless.

Right gotcha. Mums PC has no wifi only ethernet socket.

Quote:
Edit-
Quote:
OK, I think there is some confusion over what "password" is being referred to. I'll try and clarify what I am saying... The wireless connection to the router requires either a WEP or WPA key - this is the password I am assuming you are referring to. The router will have a username and password to allow you to log in to it's configuration settings - this is unrelated to the WEP/WPA key, however if you log in to the router configuration you can change the WEP/WPA key.

There is a key of 20 digits on side of router and as stated already tried this but didnt work.

Quote:
Now, from what you have said, the router has a WPA key written on the side of it. This should be what you need to connect to the wireless network, unless it has been changed, or the router is configured to allow only certain PCs to connect (unlikely, but possible).

ok already tried and double checked before confirming, still no luck. Bear in mind this is from my wifi laptop.

Quote:
If that doesn't work, then you need to log in to the router configuration, and change the wireless configuration with a WEP/WPA key of your choosing. To do this, find the IP of the router (this will be the default gateway when you run the ipconfig command from a command prompt on your mum's PC) and go to that IP from a browser on a PC connected to the router via ethernet - normally the URL would be http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/

Tried both links - no good keeps coming up with page load error taking too long to respond. Tried typing ipconfig just opens cmd window then it closes after few secs and thats it.

Ok so cant reset too much hassle and dont know enough to sort it. I'm supposed to be on holiday!!! lol

If there any thing can do with ipconfig or those two links then will try if nothing further then i say thanks so much for your help i appreciate it.

Scott
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try opening a command prompt first and typing in ipconfig.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

You could also find the default gateway from the network properties.
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Do you understand what it is i am trying to do? Simply put i'm trying to access my mums wifi router using my laptop but when connecting i need to type a password of some sort but it is not known.

Yes, I understand that. I assume that it is the WEP/WPA key that you need, however "password of some sort" is a little vague. Maybe if you can explain exactly where the password is being asked and what the message says when it asks, I may be able to better understand exactly what password you require. Please also understand that it appears that you are trying to hack in to a wireless network, this may be for legitimate reasons, however it is deliberately designed to be difficult otherwise there would be no point in security that is easy to overcome.

Please follow Steve's instructions for running ipconfig.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: