Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot get Win98FE USB driver V3.2 installed !

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ashgir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Cannot get Win98FE USB driver V3.2 installed ! Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
It looks like I lost track of my thread about not being able to install Win98FE USB driver V3.2.
I followed advice of Oscar (January 19th, 2008) and Softstag (June 2008) but to no avail.
I downloaded and installed first Unofficial Win98 SP2 and then tried Win98FE USB driver V3.2.
I always receive an error message at the end of the installation :
" Out of environment space " is written in a DOS windows with a black background and
" Under a small window with a title Advance INF Install Error : Could not locate INF File "\nusb.inf" "

Under Properties of MyComputer I can see when I click device manage, Universal Serial Bus Controller :
- Generic USB hub
- Intel 82371AB/EP PCI to USB Universal host controller
- USBroot hub.

I have installed previously 2 USB2 drivers for 256MB and 2Gig USB sticks (pen storage devices). The two came with their own drivers and are compatible with Win98FE.

Has anyone experience this error with Win98FE ?
Where do I go wrong ?
Thanks for your help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is your thread.

Try the following:
Arrow Click Start, then Run
Arrow Type in sysedit, and then click OK
Arrow Click on the Config.sys window
Arrow If you get a line starting with Shell=, then type REM followed by a Space before Shell=
Arrow Create a new line at the beginning and type SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P
Arrow Go to File then Save, then close the window.
Arrow Restart the computer

You should now try installing the drivers again.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
ashgir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Win98FE USB V3.2 Driver success BUT NO icon of drive Reply with quote

Hello SoftStag and Oscar
I have been corresponding with Oscar who has been helpful in expressing his experience with the same Sp2 and driver.
Today, I installed the Unofficial Win98 SP2 and WinFE USB driver 2.3. The installation was successfully completed. No errors this time. But, I still cannot see the icon of the USB on MyComputer window.
I do see when I plug in the USB Mass Storage device, an icon on the right handside of the systemtray which allows for unplug or eject the device.
I can also see on the Device Manage a USB Mass Device Controller but the icon is not like the other USB icons. It is not a fork like symbol but a desktop flat box !!

It may interest you to know how I installed the softwares.

1) I first disabled the opened programs on my Systemtray e.g. Anti-Virus, MS Messenger, WinPatrol, HP USB Synch, and disconnected the USB Hub connection.
2) From Control Panel, Add/Remove I uninstalled the Unofficial Win98FE SP2, the USB Flash Driver for my Memory Stick, and the USB Memory Bar.
3) My 2Gig Storage Memory Stick use the drive F:\ and the 256MB used G:\ drive.
4) When removing the Win98FE SP2 it asked for Win98 CD which I inserted.
5) Used CCleaner to remove ActiveX links to remove programs from the keys of the Registry.
6) Rebooted the computer. Checked the System code and is still show 14.10.2222 !!!
7) Repeated item 1 again and installed Unoffical Win98FE SP2.
8) Ticked all the features in the window except WMP6.4.07.1129 and DirectX6 Media. ( I have already WMP7 and DirectX9c ).
9) The SP2 installed successfully and rebooted the computer.
10) There was a new desktop screen ensignia of MS with the writing MS Windows SP with the usual MS colourful flag sign which is different than my normal screen.
11) System 14.10.2222 still appears and this time I see on the desktop an icon of Wintop.
12) Installed Win98FE USB driver V3.2 from desktop to directory C:\.
13) Rebooted the computer.
14) Connected my USB Hub device (4 USB plugs).
15) Connected my USB Mass Storage Controller (USB card reader/writer). There is a green light on and an icon of unplug or eject device (hardware) on the right handside of the Systemtray.
16) Checked Device Manage and properties of Mass Storage Controller I don't see any driver or details of device working well !! as you see with other devices.
17) Checked MyComputer for the Mass Storage icon but there was none. Please see item 3 above.

I have not yet installed the USB Flash driver for 2Gig and 256MB Memory Sticks.

Any comments ?
Ashgir
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you mean when you say you have not installed the drivers for your other memory sticks - you have installed the Generic Mass Storage Drivers - these should work for all memory sticks.

The issue here could be that the drive you have has been used on another PC and formatted in NTFS. Check out this thread for details:
Extrenal USB Hard Drive Recognized but not Available
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
ashgir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Win98FE USB V3.2 Driver doesn't work with USBs Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag.
May be I did not explain my collection of gadgets very well.

1. I have what's called a Mini 4 port USB2 Hub. This Hub doesn't require a driver as my Win98 FE OS recognizes it .
2. Purchased a 256MB USB2 JetFlash 110 Transcend to use as a pen storage. This device came with a CD to istall the driver.
3. Purchased also a 2Gig TrekStor Hi-Speed USB2 Stick. to use also as a pen storage. I downloaded the driver for the device from its manufaturer.
4. Both of these devices functioned well with my Win98FE OS. The JetFlash is identified as F:\ drive and the latter as G:\ drive. My HD takes the name C:\, CD-ROM takes D:\ and CD writer takes E:\ drive.
5. I am NOT using any external USB device or hardware.
6. The drivers for the above USBs were installed to Program Files.
7. When I uninstalled them I uninstalled them from Program Files.
8. After installing the Unofficial Win98FE SP2 and later Win98FE driver V3.2, I tried to connect the above USBs but were not recognized.
9. My newly acquired Zaapa Card reader/writer for SD and MMC Memory cards which are used in digital cameras or mobil phones was recogized as Mass Storage Controller. But there was no icon for the USB in any driver. Only an Unplug or eject hardware icon in the SystemTray. When I open it is shows I see a name Disk Drive and an icon of a box. In the window it also says Disk drive on USB Mass Storage Controller.
10. The question is " Is it posible that the OS cannot name anymore extra drives ?" or ther is something in the OS that blocks recognizing the USBs ?

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ashgir
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows should not have run out of drive letters, but to be on the safe side, you can put the following line in to your config.sys:
Arrow LASTDRIVE=Z

If there is another entry for LASTDRIVE then edit this.

For your card reader, you will probably not get any new items in Device Manager, unless you put in a card in to one of the slots - this should then appear as a Disk Drive. Whether this disk drive shows in My Computer is dependant upon whether Windows can read it or not.
ashgir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Win98FE driver letters ! Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag.

I looked at my Config.Sys and here what is what is shown :

"REM Header "

"REM [CD-ROM Drie ]

"REM Device=C:\CD ROM\NECATAPI.SYS/D:MSCD001/PIO"

"REM [Miscellaneuos]

"DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe"

The last line of the DEVICE has a ticked box infront of it.
Is the line you are referring to is the DEVICE line ?

Thanks.
Ashgir
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just add a line that says LASTDRIVE=Z
ashgir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: NO icon drive for Win98FE USB Driver V3.2 Reply with quote

I followed your instructions and added a new line in the Config.sys.
A small box was created with a tick and I typed the line opposite.
Booted the computer and inserted the USB card reader/writer for SD and MMC cards.
All I could see is the icon for Eject at the systemtray.
No icon to be seen for the USB drive.

I thought I would try to reinstall the driver for my 2gig Memory USB stick. It reinstalled OK.
Rebooted the computer and pluggedin the USB Stick. it was recognized and I can see the drive icon in MyComputer as well as in the icon of Unplug or Eject drive in the systemtray.
When I click on the Eject icon I can also see the name and icon of the USB Stick drive name F:

When I tried to save or paste into the USB Memory drive device, twice the computer rebooted itself.
But, the next day when I tried to save or paste onto the USB drive device everything run perfect.
Isn't this strange ?

I cannot ubderstand why the Win98FE USB driver V3.2 will work on some Win98 computers and not mine ?

Any ideas ?
Ashgir
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers aren't necessarily compatible with all USB controllers and all USB mass storage devices.

On some systems the card reader drives only show up if there is a readable card in the card reader - make sure this is the case.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: