Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot remove Existing W98SE USB Drivers

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
phillipsrb

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Cannot remove Existing W98SE USB Drivers Reply with quote

Hi,
I've got a w98SE with an existing memory stick installed with its own custom driver. Unfortunaly newer sticks won't work because they've changed the design so want to be able to use a different memory stick.

I'm trying to install nusb33e to hopefully allow this but when I try to remove any of the existing USB drivers via Device Manager my pc just stops doing anything except moving the cursor about. After getting out of this by a re-boot, nothing has changed so no deinstallation has occured.

Wondering if it is worth trying just installing nusb33 anyway without removing existing drivers but don't want to end up with no usb memory sticks working!

Thanks for any advice
demdike

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing USB drivers from Win9X can be a real pain because they all get shotgunned together into the VMM32.VXD virtual device driver file. You can add, but you can't take away unless the installer has a good uninstall routine

In this particular case I'd guess the uninstall is failing because the driver is already loaded into memory - try booting into safe mode and then running the uninstall from there.
Otherwise you're faced with manually identifying each individual driver file and removing them by hand AND then picking through the regiistry line by line, deleting keys as you go..... not much fun
Even then you may get crashes because of the VMM32.VXD problem

Before you start messing with the registry (and indeed before you install the drivers) learn to use the scanreg /restore tool. It wont uninstall things, but at least it can stop the registry looking for files if the update goes wrong
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512

As for having two sets of drivers on one machine
I recently had cause to to do that: a customer had been using an old Kingston USB drive, but then purchased a lbunch of another brand.I installed generic drivers (different ones in fact) and all worked OK until the Kingston drive was inserted. That caused a minor problem in that both the Kingston and generic drivers tried to take control. Not really an issue until you came to remove the drive: you had to "stop" the drive using both programs otherwise one or the other would complain. But in reality a trivial issue
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are installing the generic drivers will probably work fine, however it is a bit of a lottery, you may end up causing problems. If you can do a full system backup first, do so, so you can restore back to before the drivers were installed.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
demdike

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there speaks the voice of experience!

As a matter of interest - do those generic drivers work better / worse with any specific chipsets? Are VIA or SiS a problem with them (likr they are with so many USB devices)?
phillipsrb

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, it's a real minefield obviously. The link to restoring revious version of the registry is particualrly helpful. I've got a little DOS utility that makes backups of system.dat & user.dat but it sounds like there are more files that may get altered. I think I'll make copies of every system file possible and then try loading the generic driver.
demdike

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manually restoring system.dat & user.dat was how you did it in Win95

With Win98 M$ changed things a bit and added SCANREG /RESTORE
You're right - it does back up some of the system files as well, but without getting the old manuals out I can't remember the details. This is 13 year old technology - I binned my last Win9X machine in 2002! Things have got a bit rusty since then...

As a matter of interest you can run scanreg /restore from within WinME even though theres no DOS mode available. Assuming you can still get the machine to boot in safe mode, you can run it from a Command prompt. Windows complains like heck, warning of file corruption and other sins, but it DOES work
phillipsrb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Cannot remove Existing W98SE USB Drivers Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, eventually I just loaded the NUSB33 generic USB memory stick driver without removing any of the existing ones and it all worked fine. I can plug in a wide range of USB memory stciks all of which seem to work OK.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: