Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot retrieve particular file

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
soniaw20

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: cannot retrieve particular file Reply with quote

I recently had files transferred from old computer to new computer. have either lost or damaged one of those files. am i still able to transfer that file again from old computer, and if so, how do i do it. professional did it the first time, i do not have a clue. Old laptop cannot be fired up as battery has gone, so i need to know if i can still transfer this file to my new computer, and how to do it. Also am i able to transfer just one file. not very technical i'm afraid but i can carry out simple instructions. hope i get a response soon.

many thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't turn the laptop on, then it's not going to be easy... When the battery goes on most laptops they will work when connected to the mains, although it is sometimes necessary to remove the battery and connect it to the mains.

Are you able to power up the laptop at all?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
soniaw20

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: cannot retrieve file Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, when the battery charger failed/broke i purchased a universal mains adapter but this did not work, so it cannot be connected to the mains, however, when i took it to pc world they managed to transfer the files anyway, so i am not sure what they did, i am hoping that i dont have to take it back and be charged 40.00 for something that i may be able to do myself.

any ideas.??
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without powering it up, the only real option is to physically remove the hard drive and connect it in to a desk top PC. This is not something I would recommend as it will probably involve taking the laptop to pieces...
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: