Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Boot into Vista due to MS Updates

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
SFADuncan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Can't Boot into Vista due to MS Updates Reply with quote

Hi...

What can I do?! Everytime I turn on my PC (Quad Core, Vista - latest updates) I get the following:

"Configuring Updates, Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete
Do not turn off your computer"

Followed by...

"Shutting Down..."

Which it then does, turning itself back on again, only to go through exactly the same routine.

Contrl Alt Delete at any stage does nothing (even with a keyboard plugged directly into my PC).

I turned off half way through this, hoping to induce a screen offering me Safe Mode and/or Safe mode via command screen, but neither of these modes get me past the above routine.

I can get into Set Up... the BIOS I guess, but I don't know what to do when I'm there. Is there anyway I can switch a setting which will bypass "configuring updates" so I can go into Vista and do something about it...?

Simon
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot in to Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to a date before the issue started. Try installing the updates again.

If this doesn't work, then it may be that you don't have some prerequisites installed for Service Pack 1 - KB937287 has details on what needs to be installed first.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
SFADuncan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: no safe mode or command prompt Reply with quote

Hi... really grateful for your reply. I can't get into Safe Mode or the command prompt. The same old screens keep coming up. So I'm wondering what do I do next?

I have my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium here, but how do I get the PC to read from it so that this disk can help me repair the problem? Do I have to go into the BIOS and change the order the PC boots up? ie make it boot from the CD first? I've heard of something called a boot disk? Should I create one of those?

Thanks for your advice.

Simon
SFADuncan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Found the solution (I hope!)
[url]
http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/endless-reboot-loop-while-configuring-updates-stage-3-of-3-during-vista-sp1-installation/[/url][/url]
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: