Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can't get online

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
myself

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: can't get online Reply with quote

My mum got a new netbook for xmas. It is xp and her broadband connection is virgin, cable, wired.
I tried plugging in the virgin cable wire (ethernet cable). It says there is limited or no connectivity. The network did not assign a network address to the computer. Mine has red and green lights where the ethernet connection is on the laptop when plugged in and this new one doesn't light up at all.

Someone suggested the new one might not be ready for the internet and might need drivers installing. The disks are there that came with it but there is no cd player on it (netbooks are basic and don't seem to have them) I added avast antivirus via a flash drive and windows firewall is already on. I turned firewall off and it still wouldn't connect.

I just plugged my laptop in and it worked straight away when it was new and virgin said you don't need disks or anything just to plug it in. It is just a normal broadband cable connection, not wireless or networked.

It was bought at currys and I know from past experience they do not have the best aftercare so would rather avoid taking it there unless it is faulty or something I don't want to attempt to do. I am no techie and would be worried about trying to download drivers incase I mess it up.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are connecting the ethernet cable from the cable modem to the laptop directly, then normally it will work. Have a look in Device Manager - does this show any devices with a problem?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
myself

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no none of them have any problems.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the following:

Arrow Click on Start, then My Network Places
Arrow Click on View Network Connections on the left hand side
Arrow Right click on right click on the connection you are using (probably Local Area Connection and select Repair

Does this resolve the problem? If not does it come back with any errors?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install the drivers for the virgin internet router onto the new machine?
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say cable, do you mean Cable Modem. If it is and you have had another PC connected. Cycle the power on the cable modem. They tend to retain the MAC address of the last connected device and will only let you change by rebooting the cable modem.

Just in case. You cannot have USB and Ethernet at the same time. Only one PC connected at one time.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: