Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Start Menu - Vista
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Classic Start Menu - Vista Reply with quote

After having tried loads of different app launchers for portable apps, I've finally settled for using the classic start menu in windows. Not the seperate program but the actual bog standard win start menu.

I've reorganised the shortcuts in both folders for all programs in the User start menu and All start menu. As I never use windows apps I kept these all in the original folders but organised them for ease of reference.

After I did that I added my own shortcuts for the main portable apps I use in the User start menu folder. But I kept them seperate from windows apps and the all programs folder.

So basically when I click the start button, I get this:

*Apps *these items are sub menus and are User installed
*Audio
*Games
*Installed Apps
*Maintenance
*Media
*Office
*Folders
*PortableApps
*System Shortcuts
MS Works
My Computer
StartPortableApps.com
Restore Window
Task Manager
Toggle Hidden Files
----------------------- Everything below is system installed
Programs
Documents
Settings
Search
Help and Support
Run
-----------------------
Shutdown

Ok now for my problem. Basically whenever I pause on the User sub-menus they sometimes appear straight away but more often than not win-explorer freezes while the sub-menu loads. I can still move the cursor and use my laptop for certain things but I'm left waiting while this menu loads, WHY???

I can't understand why my sub-menus take up to a minute to load but windows menus appear straight away?

If I can't sort it I'm going back to ASuite!!! lol
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after messing around with 3rd party junk like that its impossible to know just what damage you've done
My view is
1) uninstall ALL the app launchers and try cleaning the machine with CCleaner
if that dioes not work
2) back up your data and reload the computer back to factory settings and forget about the app launcher software

Windows WORKS. Third party application launchers don't have access to the various interface hooks, and quite simply don't work. Or, if they do work, not so efficiently.
Give up trying to pimp your machine, stick with the stuff M$ have spent a fortune on getting to work correctly.
Even if you've given up using app launchers, you may still be suffering from the damage they cause

One last point - just how much RAM does the mahcine have?
sl23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a fair few of the programs are reliable and trustworthy. But then some are not! ASuite seems to work without problem and portableapps.com are very strict with their menu, it has to work and work well!

That is why I now use only this, as it has an auto updater now.

Anyway, my specs:

Acer Aspire 5920 laptop
Vista32HP
3GB Ram DDR2
Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83GHz

Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asuite is an open source project which simply is not going to have access to the API hooks used in Vista. Microsoft don't / wano't hand out that kind of info.
its not going to work as well as the Microsoft menu, it simply can't. You're deluduing yourself if you think otherwise
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

You've missed the point. I think. This isn't about ASuite at all... it's about windows start menu pausing and waiting to display shortcuts I've added.

Read my first post again -

Quote:
I've reorganised the shortcuts in both folders for all programs in the User start menu and All start menu. As I never use windows apps I kept these all in the original folders but organised them for ease of reference.

After I did that I added my own shortcuts for the main portable apps I use in the User start menu folder. But I kept them seperate from windows apps and the all programs folder.

So basically when I click the start button, I get this:

*Apps *these items are sub menus and are User installed
*Audio
*Games
*Installed Apps
*Maintenance
*Media
*Office
*Folders
*PortableApps
*System Shortcuts
MS Works
My Computer
StartPortableApps.com
Restore Window
Task Manager
Toggle Hidden Files
----------------------- Everything below is system installed
Programs
Documents
Settings
Search
Help and Support
Run
-----------------------
Shutdown

Ok now for my problem. Basically whenever I pause on the User sub-menus they sometimes appear straight away but more often than not win-explorer freezes while the sub-menu loads. I can still move the cursor and use my laptop for certain things but I'm left waiting while this menu loads, WHY???

I can't understand why my sub-menus take up to a minute to load but windows menus appear straight away?

Oh by the way, your comments on windows works are a bit inflated. In my experience one program didn't work until Vista updated and after yet another update it no longer works. And two other programs worked before a windows update but don't now! Windows is overblown and includes too much rubbish in my opinion. It's trying to be a one-stop-shop but fails miserably! Oh and another thing, I've been told WMP should support avi playback out of the box as according to a website MS invented the format. Yet WMP 11 for me doesn't show the video, sound only. And that's after a system recovery!
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh and another thing, I've been told WMP should support avi playback out of the box as according to a website MS invented the format"
OK, so you believe everything you read on the web. However that does not mean its correct....
AVI is not a format. Its simply a container for a number of combined video and audio stream files, each of which can be of many different formats of varying origins. Theres no such thing as a standard "AVI format". Hence the common difficulty in making them play without the correct speicific codecs for that AVI file
sl23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was on MS site!!!

ok... Confused less of a debate on MS.

Any chance of some help with my problem please Softy? JonS seems to think I shouldn't install any software as it messes with your PC & MS are the best and windows has it all! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
hitech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer to use Classic menu, as it takes less space on monitor and it also takes less time to open.
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see... That's the problem, it doesn't take less time to open it takes around 20-30 secs for a category i've added to open!

Any chance of some help?
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Googling "classic start menu slow"

quite a few possible helpful pages
have you tried this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpi46IE3Lsk&feature=player_embedded
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Thanks JonS hope I didn't offend you before Embarassed just avin a giggle that's all...

Unfortunately that's not my problem either! Crying or Very sad

When I click on start button the menu appears straight away no problem there. If I then hover on the Programs sub-menu, again, it appears straight away.

But when I hover on folders I've added to the start menu that contain only shortcuts to the apps, those folders and only those folders take longer than they should to appear.

So looking at my example in the first post above, if I hover on the Apps folder this is what is contained in there:

-Apps
-Portable File Associator
-Pidgin
-Rainmeter
-UniExtract
-uTorrent
-WinRAR

Now considering that there's only 6 shortcuts, why the delay in the sub-menu appearance?

I changed the menu start delay to zero, which made the menu faster but had no effect on the folders I added to it. They appear but the shortcuts take at least 15 secs to appear.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are any of those shortcuts mapped to network drives, or drives other than c: ?

Last edited by JonS on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: