Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compaq Presario CQ60 Issues

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
misslolitalove

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Compaq Presario CQ60 Issues Reply with quote

Hi

I received this laptop last summer as a replacement for my old HP (the screen got smashed!).

It uses Windows Vista Home Basic (which I hate) and I use Mozilla Firefox for internet browsing. I did use Avira Free Anti Virus because I was told AVG was no good anymore, but now I'm trying AVG again as someone else told me to (as you can tell I have no idea myself). Recently I installed IOBit Security to check for malware, and have used Error Nuker to get rid of registry errors.

The problems I have been having have been that the computer will freeze and/or run very very slowly, and sometimes the only way to stop it is to turn it off, but I try to avoid doing that. Normally it is a matter of running Task Manager (which in itself takes forever to load) and ending all relevant processes.

The problems mainly seem to be when I am using the internet, but as the computer is always connected to wireless, and I hardly use it for anything else except watching videos with VLC Media Player, I couldn't judge well enough if it is just the internet which causes the problems.

Can anyone help please?
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Compaq Presario CQ60 Issues Reply with quote

misslolitalove wrote:
Hi

I received this laptop last summer as a replacement for my old HP (the screen got smashed!).

It uses Windows Vista Home Basic (which I hate) and I use Mozilla Firefox for internet browsing. I did use Avira Free Anti Virus because I was told AVG was no good anymore, but now I'm trying AVG again as someone else told me to (as you can tell I have no idea myself). Recently I installed IOBit Security to check for malware, and have used Error Nuker to get rid of registry errors.

The problems I have been having have been that the computer will freeze and/or run very very slowly, and sometimes the only way to stop it is to turn it off, but I try to avoid doing that. Normally it is a matter of running Task Manager (which in itself takes forever to load) and ending all relevant processes.

The problems mainly seem to be when I am using the internet, but as the computer is always connected to wireless, and I hardly use it for anything else except watching videos with VLC Media Player, I couldn't judge well enough if it is just the internet which causes the problems.

Can anyone help please?

You can run Firefox in safe mode and this will disable all the addons. Run it like that for a bit. If you have no problems then it is probably caused by one of the addons.

Another way to test would be to try using IE or Google Chrome and see if the problem still occurs.
misslolitalove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will try that
demdike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much RAM is fitted to the machine?
A lot come with just 1GB which is not enough to run Vista properly
A memory upgrade could make avast difference
timkat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Kaspersky Reply with quote

Avira isn't so good either. You should try to use KAspersky, trust me, this one is the best that exist nowadays. I use it too and I'm very satisfied with it. It's highly efficient software.
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the current version of Kaspersky is going down the same route as Norton though - big, overblown, clunky and a memory hog
Also presumably he wanted a FREE AV solution
Of all the free ones, Avast is - probably - the most comprehensive at present, but its a good idea to add something like Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster as well

In this particular old thread - which really it seems a bit pointless reopening, the original poster would appear to have some kind of malware running which is slowing him down. Normal AV tools wont shift that - it needs dedicated programs
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: