Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer won't display anything when drivers are installed

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
The Bobo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Computer won't display anything when drivers are installed Reply with quote

Hey, I seem to be having a problem with my computer right now that's been annoying me for a few weeks, and I need to get more outside assistance.

Primarily, I use my PC for gaming (World of Warcraft mostly, if that helps), and that was all fine, until one day, while playing, the screen started to frequently flicker, turning black for a fraction of a second, then back, until the computer ran INCREDIBLY slow, and the cursor seemed to have black squares inside it. After I tried the good old "Ctrl + Alt + Del", 5 minutes later, Windows Task Manager finally loaded up (button by button), when I gave up, and switched it off from the mains.

When I turned the computer back on, the computer would start as normal, until it got to the Windows loading screen, where black lines were streaked over the logo and writing, and after loading, a blue screen would quickly flash before anything could be read, then the system would restart itself, and the only way the machine would work was in safe mode.

Eventually, I gave up hope, and completely rebooted the entire system, yet the problem still persisted when the drivers were installed. I got in contact with my PC manufacturer's tech support, and they suggested a number of things which still haven't managed to fix the problem. However, one suggestion he made was installing a set of drivers he'd given, and the computer seemed to work fine. I could load the computer normally, installed World of Warcraft, and could even hear sound. However, once I started playing again, the screen froze, the games graphics were streaked oddly across the screen, and then that bloody screen flicker was back. Turned off from the mains, back on again, then back to square one.

However, when I ran it in safe mode again, I uninstalled the graphics drivers, and this managed to get the computer working in default mode, with sound working. However, whenever I try to install the drivers again, once installation is complete, the computer runs INCREDIBLY slow again, and I have to forcefully shut down the machine, but when restarted, the computer loads, but the screen is black, but I can hear the sound of windows starting up.

I really am stumped as for what to do next. I'm an unemployed student looking for work, so I can't get into funny-money, but I'm willing to put some aside. Just tired, and fed up with this computer, really Razz

Any help would be appreciated. Just wanting the machine sorted, and back up and running. As an added complication, my computer now takes a good 5-10 minutes to load up to the desktop after the Windows loading screen. The time in between is just a black screen.

Here's some system information:
- Pc NextDay Zoostorm 2-3304 Versatile Core2 Duo E6300 PC
- 1GB RAM
- 250GB HD
- XP Home
- Nvidia GeForce 7600 graphics card

(I know it won't be much of a surprise to hear, but I'm pretty unskilled with the in's and out's of computer linguo, and the likes - just to let you know Embarassed )

Many thanks!
Conner Fleming - The Bobo
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that one of two things has gone faulty - either the graphics card itself, or the power supply.

I would see if you can try your graphics card in another computer and see if it works there. I suspect though that you will need to replace it.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
The Bobo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SoftStag,

I tried changing the graphics card with another computer, and that computer showed the same problems as mine. I used that machines card on my own, and it operates just fine - looks like a new graphics card is in order for me, then. Shocked

Thanks for the help. Smile
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smile
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: