Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct motherboard or waste of money

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
SM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Correct motherboard or waste of money Reply with quote

I was convinced by a friend to buy another nvidia gts450 to go with my present one and SLI to give me "an amazing graphics experience". As a complete techy newbie I bought another, fitted it to my asus P5Q-PRO Rev1 motherboard and... nothing! Aparently I need a motherboard that is SLI compliant - something I (and my friend) knew nothing about. Without digging my hole too deep and spending a fortune, can I buy a motherboard to put these 2 cards in and experience SLI or is my only option to buy a more expensive graphics card (wish I'd done this in the first place) and try to sell on the 2 x gts450's I have
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've a choice
get rid of the cards
or get a new motherboard and CPU and memory
You won't find a Socket 775 board new which does SLI. Old technology, things have moved on. You would have to buy something with a newer CPU socket.
Essentially you would be looking at almost a complete new PC as you'd probably also need a new higher rated PC

The two 16x slots on that machine are intended for use with ATI cards, not nVidia - they do ATI CrossFireX™ technology at x8 link
However whats the point in that? Better off buying a higher performance single card
SM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply - I will buy a new card.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: