Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cpu usage

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
dell1961

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: cpu usage Reply with quote

Hi. I started my pc this morning and it took about 5 minutes to load up. After everything had at last loaded I tried to get onto the internet but it wasn't having any of it. Again about a 5 minute wait. I checked ctrl alt and delete to see if the application was loading (Google Chrome) I then noticed that the cpu usage was 100%.

I closed everything down and started it up again. Everything was ok for approx 1 minute and then the cpu usage slowly worked it's way back to 100% and then stayed there. It would appear that the culprit is svchost.exe syst

What I would like to know is if anyone can tell me, Apart from everything being deathly slow and the fan going hell for leather is it doing any harm? if so do you know how i can put it right?

I thought it could be malware at first but I have scanned the system with Kaspersky internet security,Spybot,and super anti spyware but none of these found anything. So last resort I thought if something was determined not to be found I would clear everything off the hard drive and start from scratch but it has made no difference.

I have discovered that if I end the process that the cpu usage drops back to between 0 and 4 %. Most things still appear to work but obviously not everything.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks

[/img]
dell1961

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: cpu usage Reply with quote

I have worked out what is causing the problem but don't know how to solve it. The problem seems to be caused by microsoft automatic updates. as soon as you switch the auto updates off the cpu goes back to normal. Any Ideas?
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of info on the web about this, but none of it seems to work
I have a feeling that theres something about the WinXP update page thats gone wrong: I had a machine which showed this problem on saturday, but seems OK today
if its still doing it, try changing the behaviour of windows update from "automatic" to "download but not install"
dell1961

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: cpu usage Reply with quote

Thank You. It is still doing the same. So I have tried to get some information out of microsoft as I am not convinced that they don't know anything about this. They don't want to know unless you subscribe to there premium office.
As I suspected from the name they said that premium office costs. I don't see why we should pay for them to tell us what the problem is when it would appear that it was caused by something going wrong with there updates.
all that they could suggest was that I buy windows 8 and that this would solve the problem. If I do get any joy out of them I will let you know but i'm not holding out much hope.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: