Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyber Monitoring?!?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> General Chat
pvkemail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Cyber Monitoring?!? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently read in an article somewhere (in www), and if my memory is correct, it says something to this meaning, that every internet providers deploy some special system whereby it monitors your web activities (like sites being visited, googling, etc.) and email transactions (searching for some special keywords in the body-text, subjects etc.). It seems many public sector communication companies (government owned/supported) or corporate companies who provide internet service records your actions at their web-server.

1) How far this is true or is it just another internet-hoax or rumour?

2) Technically, is it possible for such providers to monitor so? Why because, logically, the cyberspace is so vast-and-wide and how can it be monitored, if they are providing, say, 5000+ connections?

3) I think in some way, maybe it is good to avoid unwanted elements using internet as a mean. but is it a form of cyber-harassing for good civilians when being monitored or overwatched constantly?

What do you think? Please share your opinions.

Thanks anyway,

Have a nice day,

Regards,
Vijay
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this has been hyped up a bit.
ISP's are required to keep certain records relating to tracking of internet connections. These would include a record of a customers IP address. This would be done by identifying the Username or MAC address (In cases of cable modem) of customers with the IP address they were assigned a specific times. I am fairly sure that they will also be required to keep DNS server logs for a period of time as well. To my knowledge this is the only monitoring that they are required to do by law which is intended to help combating the missuse of the internet examples of which would be making or distributing child abuse images or similar material and the fight against terrorism at home and abroad.

The full details of what the can and can;t do can be found at the ofcom web site.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Moved to General Chat as more appropriate forum}

I agree with MarkB on this, however if your connection is configured to go through a proxy server, then it is possible that that maintains a log of all sites visited.

I suppose that if you visit an illegal site, and that site was closed down by the authorities, then it is feasible that the server logs could be confiscated and there would be a record of every IP that visited the server and it's activity. These IPs could be traced to ISPs, who in turn could be bound to provide the details of who was using the IP at that time.

My though, is that this is fine. Providing you are not doing anything illegal, then your identity is pretty much safe. After all, there is so much information out there that it would be impossible to process anything but a tiny fraction.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: