Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deleting personal inf. from computer

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Deleting personal inf. from computer Reply with quote

Hello again,
I'm in the process of transferring information from one computer to another. I managed to make copies of all my folders (including My Favorites) and documents, etc. So they are all on discs now.

Once I delete my folders and documents...how can I be sure all personal information is off of my old computer?

Another question...my computer only has 163,248 of memory. The "new" computer has 522,832. It's worth it for me to "upgrade", right? I put all the stats in my previous thread, "Transferring from one computer to another". I just want to make sure this is a good move before I go deleting everything.

Thanks! Very Happy

SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Deleting personal data Reply with quote

There is more to knowing whether one PC is better than another from the amount of memory it has - there are many factors that affect PC performance. As a general rule though, yes, the more RAM the better. So it probably is worth it.

Deleting all your personal it not easy. To do this completely, I would recommend formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. This is quite a drastic and time consuming process, but it does get rid of everything. If you don't want to do this, then create a new user (with admin rights), log in as that user and delete your old user. Go in to C:\Documents and Settings\ and delete the folder relating to your old user. Now download Ccleaner and use it to delete all files it recommends.

Once this is done, have a good browse round the hard drive to see if you can find anything else. This should have got most things, but can't guarantee getting it all.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Softstag,

Well, I was thinking about reformatting. Since I'm giving this to a neighbor I thought I'd delete everything and let her son reinstall everything (he knows how).

If I do that, is it as simple as "uninstalling" all the applications? Or, is there more I'd have to do before passing it along to my neighbor's son?

Also, what else would I need to know to decide if the 'new' computer is a better choice?

All I know is that it is approximately 5 years old (Dell). It was used for business only so it had minimal stuff on it e.g. Win2000, etc.

My friend updates all his business computer every few years so that is how I got the 'new' one.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reformatting removes Windows, applications, data, everything. So much so that if you turn the computer on after doing so, it will boot to an error message. Your neighbour's son will require the Windows installation CD and product code.

To format the hard drive you will need a boot disk with the format command on it.

With regard to specifications of PCs. It is helpful to know the processor type and speed, the RAM (you know this already) and the hard drive capacity. Also, if you are running a different version of Windows it is useful to know what that is as newer versions are more demanding on the system. For example 2 systems of the same specification one running Windows 98 and the other running Windows XP - the Windows 98 system will run faster, but will not be compatible with as much newer software.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Yes, I have all the start-up disks necessary to reformat. I just don't want to sit there and install it all! Rolling Eyes

So, I figured if I delete my stuff I could let my neighbor install it LOL

But maybe I'll just do your other recommendation of changing the username and deleting the old etc.

As for the newer computer, it is running on Win2000, the same as I have now. Nothing else is on the computer, that I can remember, other than WIN, spybot, IE, and...not much else. I don't remember.

I would be adding to that the software for my digital camera, MediaPlayer, software for my MP3 and some desktop folders.

As for the processor type...Hmm...well, it's a DELL optiplex GX150. At least, that is the only writing on the computer itself. I don't have it hooked up so I'm not sure.
Where do I find out the speed?

Based on RAM and the quietness of the DELL, I'm already wanting to make the switch. I was shocked at how quiet it is. My computer hums and has this annoying, high-pitched sound that constantly runs while using it. I live in a studio apt. so it's quite annoying and noticeable.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the right thing to do is go with the new PC. It is newer and therefore more likely to be better.

If you want help formatting, please ask.
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Okay. This is going well so far Surprised

I copied my favorites and all my folders. I disabled the 'read only' thingy on all my documents.

However, when I attempted to open some documents I get the macros warning. I don't really know what macros are and what to do about them.

What should I do when I get the warning? I think my only choice is to disable, but I'm not sure.

ETA: I also get this error: Runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug? Line 308 Error: Syntax error

I didn't have any debugging errors on my old computer so this is new to me. However, I haven't installed my anti-virus stuff yet. Is that why I'm getting this error?

More Error messages...

I was trying to copy from the disc my folders and documents. I copied them to the new computer but when I try to disable the 'read only' on folder or document I get the following message: An error has occurred applying attributes to the file: <names file> Access is denied.
My choices are then to ignore/ignore all/retry/cancel
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macros warning is because the file contains macros - these are scripts that can do things within Excel and other programs. There are some viruses that are written as macros, so security is set to ask if you want to run the macros. If you say yes the macro will run, if you say no it will be disabled. If you know the source of the file then it should be safe to run the macro.

Where do you get the runtime error? Is it when you are doing something in particular?

Make sure you are disabling the read only attribute on the copy of the file that you have put on the computer, not on the CD as that won't work. Also make sure you are not using the file when you are trying to change the attributes.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: