Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desktop difficulty booting up

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Desktop difficulty booting up Reply with quote

Hello,

Win2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
Dell approx. 4-5 years old (used for business only until now)

Yesterday, when starting up the computer I rec'd an error message. It said, basically, to ignore the message unless I've seen it before. Unfortunately, the message flashes too quickly to read the 3 paragraphs of information. It did say something about starting in safe mode if have seen message before, followed by other instructions I couldn't quite catch. I think it said something about reinstalling software but I'm not certain.

Since I hadn't rec'd the message before, I ignored it.

After the message, and checking for disk errors, it started and worked fine.
But then, instead of the screensaver coming on it seemed to go into sleep mode. And I couldn't wake it up! Laughing

I had to shut down the computer.

Skip ahead to this morning. It rebooted constantly. The desktop would show up and just as I was ready to click on IE, it would reboot, check for disk errors and so on and so on. Then, that same error message appeared along with one saying it wasn't able to reboot successfully.

It wouldn't shut down but didn't work, either.

Again, I had to shut if off myself.

I tried again, just now, and it rebooted fine. Well, after checking for disk errors (C drive) it said it corrected some erors. Again, it flashed too quickly for me to read them.

Although it's working now, I dread shutting down the computer for fear it won't restart. And since we are in hte midst of a thunder/lightening storm, I need to shut it off.
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

My computer just cycles...constantly rebooting itself. Yet, once I am able to shut it down (not always possible!) if I accidently jiggle a cable, it starts up again!

I think it's possessed Laughing

Could this be something 'simple' like a loose cable? What I mean is, everything is securely in place (because I checked) but just tapping or gently touching a cable will set the computer off on it's rebooting frenzy.

Any ideas? Is my computer as good as dead? Sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be several reasons for the problems you describe. The most likely is that something is loose, possibly inside.

You mention that jiggling a cable can make a difference? Which cable is this?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Any wire! Just touching the casing, lightly with my foot, set it off. I suspect it is something loose inside.

On a related note...since I cannot access the internet using my desktop I am trying to hook up my DSL modem to my Toshiba Satellite 2800 laptop, running on WinME

After four hours with Verizon DSL tech support, they thought I needed a NIC/NCI (forget which) driver. I called Toshiba tech to find it online, but cannot.

Any ideas(for either problem)?

THanks!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something is loose inside, then the best thing to do is disconnect everything, take the case off and have a look. Something is probably loose. Make sure all internal cables are securely connected, and also make sure all circuit boards that connect to each other are securely attached. Don't be scared, the insides of a PC are fairly robust and if there is no power connected you are safe Smile

With regard to your laptop. How do you connect the modem, is it via USB or Ethernet?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Thanks. I'll check out the guts of the desktop and see what is happening. And I'll be sure to unplug first Wink

I figured out the laptop issue. Finally. I spent a total of five hours on the phone with out-sourced-to-India tech support who couldn't figure out the (laptop) problem. Despite not being a "techie" sometimes common sense and intuition is the way to go. I just needed a USB cable! DUH! They had me searching for all these files and networks and blah-blah-blah and all the while I kept asking, "Can't I just connect a usb cable from the modem to the computer?" Rolling Eyes

So, that is what I did and Voila! here I am Very Happy
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ETA: I cannot get the casing off the computer. With my old one, I could just unscrew the casing and slide it off. This one, a Dell, doesn't have any screws nor does it appear to have a beginning or end. I can't figure out how to take the casing off. I thought maybe the back metal piece would just come out but that doesn't seem possible, either.

I feel stupid but...help? Confused
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some way to get inside it. Not sure how I can help....
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the model of Dell.
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell Optiplex. Does that help?
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little. Many of these models had small buttons that you press in either side towards the back and then the cover pivots up. Can you post a picture?

If you are unsure of how to post a picture, I have written a tutorial here

Mark.
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Thanks for responding. I found nothing that looks like it will open the case. I've opened computer towers before so that is why I'm perplexed. But, good news...a friend of mine works with computers (used to build them for a living) and he said he will look at it (to see why it keeps rebooting itself). If fixable, he is the guy who can do it. He has rebuilt motherboards so...he has a clue Smile

If it isn't something that can be fixed he has offered to sell me a two year old *cough*Mac*cough* at a very cheap price.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: