Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DESKTOP HAS DISAPPEARED

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
JavOK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: DESKTOP HAS DISAPPEARED Reply with quote

Can someone please help? I have switched my computer on today and my desktop is completely blank Sad

When switching on, I get the usual Windows XP Pro user log on screen and when I log on all there is on the desktop apart from a a pale blue screen, is my mouse cursor which I can move around on the blank desktop. There are no icons, no taskbar and therefore no start menu which obviously prevents me from navigating anywhere.

The only way I can navigate through my programs and files is by bringing up the Windows Task Manager by hitting Ctrl Alt + Del.

The only unusual thing that has happened recently is that McAfee removed a Trojan called Fake-Alert-AG (I think) a couple of days prior. Could this be the cause?

I've tried to perform a system restore but I cannot navigate to it, don't know how to get to the program.

Can someone please help me resolve this problem?

Jav
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode by holding one of the 'F' keys during startup?

Good luck!
JavOK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sl23, thanks for your response.

I don't really have a problem booting up as such, it's having no desktop that is the issue. However, I am able to boot up in safe mode, where do I go from here?

Im not sure what has caused this problem, it's as if I have lost explorer.exe How do I find out if I still have explorer.exe? I have tried searching for it from task manager but it says that windows cannot find it.

Trying to work with no desktop, no icons, no shortcuts and no start button is very time consuming and extremely annoying to say the least!

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get your desktop in Safe Mode?

What happens if you press the Windows key in Normal Mode?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JavOK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SoftStag,

It is exactly the same in Safe Mode........no icons and no taskbar.

Nothing happens when I press the Windows key in normal mode.

Do you have any idea? I've been looking at the following thread, http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/8320-blank-desktop-no-desktop-after-log.html regarding the same problem experienced by other people but there are so many suggestions to resolve it I don't know which one is best to try. I would hate to make the problem worse.

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft have created a hotfix for this problem. This is not a freely available download, and you will have to request it directly from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948277/en-us
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
JavOK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag,

Thanks for your previous response. I had contacted Microsoft but then, for some unknown reason, I was compelled to have a look in the quarantine folder of McAfee and eureka! There were several files in there that had been quarantined 29/6/08

DPPJ.DLL - (Generic Downloader.x)
OLD158.tmp - (W32/PEPatcher.c)
YJGXXKV.EXE - (W32/Drefir.worm.gen)
Isass.exe - (W32/PEPatcher.c)
services.exe - (W32/PEPatcher.c)
spoolsv.exe - (W32/PEPatcher.c)
svchost.exe - (W32/PEPatcher.c)
sysrest.sys - (NTRootKit-J)
sysrest32.exe - (New Malware.i)
winlogon.exe - (W32/PEPatcher.c)
explorer.exe

I have managed to restore explorer.exe and my desktop is back again but the other files will not restore. Can you please advise what these files are and whether or not they are important and also how I can replace them?

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news!

The other files are infected with viruses - the virus name is in brackets after it. Many of these files sound like Windows files, but will probably be trojans. If these were Windows files, then I doubt Windows would load. Hopefully everything is back to normal now.
JavOK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag,

Im afraid that everything is not back to normal. Some shortcuts on the desktop would not work so I created new shortcuts and they seem to be ok now but several items on the start menu do not work, such as MY COMPUTER, MY DOCUMENTS, CONTROL PANEL etc.

Because several windows files have been quarantined I think I need to replace them but Im not exactly sure how to do it. I want to try to avoid re-installing windows because this would mean formatting wouldn't it?

How can I replace any missing windows files without formatting?

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably easiest to reinstall Windows over the top of the current installation - this will effctively fix the current installation without removing programs or data. Although I'd always recommend backing up important data before doing this, just to be on the safe side!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: