Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Device manager

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Rossi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Device manager Reply with quote

i was trying to set up a laptop to go wireless but i couldn't find a LAN connection i was advised to go into Device manager but this was just blank so i was told to take into a shop is this correct or has anyone got any ideas PLZ
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no need to take it to a shop. However for us to identify the problem we need more information.

What Laptop do you have, what wireless adapter do you have, what operating system are you using, are there any problem devices in Device Manager and what is in the Network Connections section in Device Manager?

Once we have this info, we should be able to help further.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SoftStag"]There should be no need to take it to a shop. However for us to identify the problem we need more information.

What Laptop do you have, what wireless adapter do you have, what operating system are you using, are there any problem devices in Device Manager and what is in the Network Connections section in Device Manager?

Once we have this info, we should be able to help further.[/quote]

Hi thanks for getting back to me here are the details;
Sony VAIO
Netgear adapter
Windows XP pro service pack 2
There is absolutely nothing showing up in device manager not even any errors or anything
Thanks
Rossi
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you open Network Connections from within the Control Panel, do you get anything there mentioning a wireless connection? If so, double click on it, and it should show what wireless connections are in range. You can connect to these by clicking on the connection and then connect (you will need to enter the Network Key, if it is a secure connection, when prompted).

Rossi wrote:
There is absolutely nothing showing up in device manager not even any errors or anything

There should be something in Device Manager, even if nothing has a problem. Go in to Device Manager and you should have a Network Adapters section; if this has a + next to it, click the + to see what it contains. If you can let me know what is in Network Adapters and whether the icon of any have a red cross or yellow circle on them, this will help to identify the problem.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SoftStag"]If you open Network Connections from within the Control Panel, do you get anything there mentioning a wireless connection? If so, double click on it, and it should show what wireless connections are in range. You can connect to these by clicking on the connection and then connect (you will need to enter the Network Key, if it is a secure connection, when prompted).

[quote="Rossi"]There is absolutely nothing showing up in device manager not even any errors or anything[/quote]
There should be [i]something[/i] in Device Manager, even if nothing has a problem. Go in to Device Manager and you should have a Network Adapters section; if this has a + next to it, click the + to see what it contains. If you can let me know what is in Network Adapters and whether the icon of any have a red cross or yellow circle on them, this will help to identify the problem.[/quote]
Hiya
There is absolutely nothing in device manager it is just blank!!!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not something I've ever come accross before, however a little research, and Microsoft recommend this to get Device Manager back to normal. This may also help with the wi-fi issue.
Microsoft wrote:
1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. Double-click Plug and Play.
If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.
3. In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
4. Close Services.
5. Restart the computer.

Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
This is not something I've ever come accross before, however a little research, and Microsoft recommend this to get Device Manager back to normal. This may also help with the wi-fi issue.
Microsoft wrote:
1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. Double-click Plug and Play.
If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.
3. In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
4. Close Services.
5. Restart the computer.

Very Happy I thank you so much for all your help so far
Crying or Very sad but this still hasn't done anything to change the problem there is still nothing in Device manager
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft also report that this can happen following the installation of SP2. They do have a fix available for this problem, but it is not available for download, you have to request it from Microsoft. They also don't recommend installing it unless this specific problem occurs (sounds like a new hotfix that is not 100% tested). If you know that Device Manager was there and working before SP2 was installed, then you should obtain the fix from MS and install it. If you do install it, then I would strongly recommend you back up your PC prior to installation. You should read the Knowledge Base Article on the problem and how to obtain the fix.

In the meantime, did you try this:
SoftStag wrote:
If you open Network Connections from within the Control Panel, do you get anything there mentioning a wireless connection? If so, double click on it, and it should show what wireless connections are in range. You can connect to these by clicking on the connection and then connect (you will need to enter the Network Key, if it is a secure connection, when prompted).

If so, what was the outcome? Do you get a Wireless Connection here?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: