Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disk read error occured

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Disk read error occured Reply with quote

A friend has just given me his old Toshiba satellite 4090CDS laptop but when I try to boot it up I get a grey screen and the message "A Disk read error occured, Press CTRL, ALT, DEL to restart" but when I follow the instructions it looks like the laptop is rebooting itself but it just comes up with the same message again and again.

Any thought on what could be the cause?

Thanks

Jim
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC is attempting to boot from a disk it cannot read. Make sure there are no floppy disks, CDs, DVDs, etc in any drives, and also make sure there are no USB drives connected to the laptop. If this doesn't help then it is probably that the hard drive has become corrupt, and will require formatting and having Windows installed on it.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Soft Stag,

If it's the last one how would I reformat the laptop?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Windows CD, then you should be able to boot from the Windows CD and start the Windows setup - during setup when you select where to install, you should have an option to format before installing.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again,

I'm not sure what OS was on the laptop and my friend can't remember but I think it was Windows XP that was installed.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this from a Windows XP CD, but you will need a valid XP Product Key to install XP.
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the key from my desktop be ok for this?
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobertson29365 wrote:
Would the key from my desktop be ok for this?
Or is that illegal?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally each copy is only licensed to be installed on 1 PC, although this would depend on the licence you have.
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know there were different types of licence but the one I have is for XP Home
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I don't think they do volume licences for XP Home - so you can only install it on 1 PC at once. If the laptop came with a preloaded copy of Windows, the product key should be stuck to the bottom of it.
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I don't see a OS Key sticker on it anywhere.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: