Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Display shuts down

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ganjademon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Display shuts down Reply with quote

Hi all

Last couple of days my monitor has turned itself off a few times.
Normally this has been shortly after I have turned it on.
Once I left the room and came back and the was no display and the monitor was in standby but could not be woken.
Next day while I was surfing the net the display just went to standby and again I had to restart the pc.
And again today while I was surfing the net shortly after turning it on and Again about an hour later while I was in the shower. But after that I watched 2 episodes of Battlestar Galactica and played Dawn of War for about 2 hours with no probs.
Last time was about 2 hours ago while I was making food, came back and no display but since I have been surfing and watching a film with no probs.
When this happens the actual tower shows no signs of a problem, all fans and lights stay lit.
I have tried to shut down windows with the keys but this does not work and I have to use the power on/off switch.

I have a Intel Quad Core Q9300
Gigabyte EP45-DS5 Mobo
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM
BFG Tech GTX 280
Sound Blaster X-Fi

Any ideas what the likely culprit is? first guess was monitor but when it didnt shut down with the keys I started thinking maybe hardware prob?
Graphics or even Hard drive?
Any help greatly appreciated
Chris
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there may be a problem with the graphics card. Possibly that it is not making a good connection to the motherboard. I would try removing this, cleaning the contacts with a dry cloth and putting it back in again - making sure it is securely seated. It could be that as it warms up the contact goes and the PC freezes. It is possible something else could be loose, although graphics card is the first thing to check as you loose display.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
It sounds like there may be a problem with the graphics card. Possibly that it is not making a good connection to the motherboard. I would try removing this, cleaning the contacts with a dry cloth and putting it back in again - making sure it is securely seated. It could be that as it warms up the contact goes and the PC freezes. It is possible something else could be loose, although graphics card is the first thing to check as you loose display.

I agree the Graphics card is the most likely culprit. Often just reomving and re-fitting it will sort out probs like that.
maximus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surreypcsupport.com wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

I agree the Graphics card is the most likely culprit. Often just reomving and re-fitting it will sort out probs like that.

HI, IVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE INSIDES OF A PC, CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THE GRAPHICS CARD ? KEITH
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphics card is physically inside the PC. If you open the case you can see the circuit board that monitor connects to - this is the graphics card. Just to note, some systems don't have a separate graphics card, so if the monitor appears to connect in to the main circuit board of the PC, then it is what is called an integrated graphics card and can't be reseated.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: