Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need firewall software?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
billy21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Do I need firewall software? Reply with quote

I have just bought a router to share my adsl connection. The instructions say that it comes with a firewall built in. Are these any good? Do I still need to have zonealarm installed as well? I know that you shouldnt have 2 antivirus at the same time - is it the same with firewalls?

Thanks
Billy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, firstly, there is no problem with having both a hardware and a software firewall at the same time.

There is no definative answer to whether it is necessary to have both. Don't disable the one on the router, as this protects your LAN from the internet. If you trust all of the PCs on the LAN then there should be no need for the software firewall on your PC. If you think someone on the LAN may try to hack in to your PC, then you need it, as the firewall on the router will not protect you.

The personal firewall on your PC will allow you much more control. They control both outgoing and incoming connections, and allow you to specify which programs can access the internet etc. All this control does however make it more cumbersome to setup and use.

If you are just trying to protect your LAN PCs from nasties coming from the Internet, then a hardware firewall should be sufficient and much easier to deal with. If you need/want more control then keep a personal firewall as well.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
billy21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I already have zonealarm installed so I will keep it. Sounds like I don't need it though!
donaldmitchell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Do I need firewall software? Reply with quote

Every computer should have a firewall. Possibly even both hardware and software firewall. Your router use as hardware firewall and if you are not using router then use software firewall,it keep your system free from malicious traffic.

computer running slow | Computer technical support service | free virus scan
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: