Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Download bandwidth suddenly reduced

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
s12363

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Download bandwidth suddenly reduced Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm facing a strange situation here and would appreciate your comments and ideas!

I have a small LAN of 4 PCs.
2 PCs running Windows 7 Ultimate, 1 PC running Windows XP SP3 and 1 PC running Windows Vista Ultimate.

Until now all 4 PCs had no problems at all as far as networking/internet connection speed is concerned.
For the LAN we were using static IPs (i.e. 192.168.1.XXX) and everybody was enjoying a nice downloading speed.
Recently we moved to a new ISP and from the very first moment, the download bandwidth of the 2 PCs (running Vista and XP) was suddenly reduced from (actual) 5 Mbps to 100 Kbps while the upload bandwidth remained unchanged at 800 Kbps for all 4 PCs as it always was!!
I tried also setting the TCP IP of the computers to automatically get a dynamic IP, but there was no change in the downloading speed.
Is there any idea of what may have reduced the download bandwidth for the the Vista and the XP computers??

Any ideas/comments would be much appreciated!
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) did you get a new modem/router with the ISP change?
2) have you checked the upload/download speeds as reported by your router - not as reported by speedtests on the PCs?
3) which ISPs have you changed from / to?
4) how long since the change? It can take ten days before the error checking system on the line establishes an optimum speed.
5) have you tried changing he MTU settings on the router? DO you know what the ISP recommends and what they are set to? What are the MTU settings on the individual PCs for the ethernet link to the modem/router?
s12363

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
1) did you get a new modem/router with the ISP change?
2) have you checked the upload/download speeds as reported by your router - not as reported by speedtests on the PCs?
3) which ISPs have you changed from / to?
4) how long since the change? It can take ten days before the error checking system on the line establishes an optimum speed.
5) have you tried changing he MTU settings on the router? DO you know what the ISP recommends and what they are set to? What are the MTU settings on the individual PCs for the ethernet link to the modem/router?

Hi JonS and thanks for trying to help.
The router is a Pirelli Discus Cinturato P3 Voip IDv2 Wireless OIP Gateway. The MTU on all 4 PCs is set to 1500.
I have checked with my ISP support and there's no problem at all with the router configuration.
Due to the fact that the 2 Windows 7 PCs are working fine on the router (as well as a couple other Win XP/Vista Pcs I have tested today, which were no part of the initial static IP LAN) I, too, feel we have to concentrate on the 2 PCs (XP/Vista) that suddenly had their download speed butchered while their upload speed remained untouched.
What is the best way I can reset every setting that is related to networking on these 2 PCs?
s12363

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I was messing today with the configuration of the network cards of the 2 XP/Vista PCs and finally got them working by changing the "Speed & Duplex" setting from "Auto-Negotiation" to "10Mbps Full-Duplex" (which is the only one working. All other settings are either not working properly or not working at all).
I really don't know what causes this behavior on XP/Vista computers.
I sincerely want to thank everyone who tried to help me with this problem.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully that was 100mb/s not 10mb/s?

If you only have 10mb/s cards in there then no wonder its slow...
Ahas someone put the wrong drivers on those machines?

You'ev got the MTU on the PCs set to 1500 - is he uplink t the internet also at 1500? Helps if they are all the same

As for a Pirelli Cinturato P3.... if memory serves me right that was the brand of tyre they put on the Rover SD1 car
I knew Pirelli had a history of making communication cables, but I'd never heard of Pirelli switchgear before
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: