Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drivers

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
anker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: drivers Reply with quote

Hi My opreating system is xp professional sp3 and I have a dell optiplex gx 280. I thought i knew what i was doing but have been proved wrong. What I tried to do was re format my hard drive. As far as the removal of the old stuff and re loading the os went every thing was ok But when i tried to re load my drivers it all went pear shaped!! Even though it is legal microsoft software it said they had not passed the microsoft logo test. So I forced the issue. It was ok until I re booted the system then the home page, all the icons,pictures and pretty much everything else looked like something out of the lucy in the sky with diamonds video.So i started again but I can't get onto the internet to download any drivers even if I knew what I needed. can anyone help PLEASE.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Dell are usually pretty good about supplying a full set of driver disks. Dig those out
2) Dell machines always have a hidden recovery image. Have you tried using that? Hopefully its still there, though formatting the drive may have zapped it.

Why did you decide to reformat? What went wrong?
anker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: drivers Reply with quote

I decided to re format the hard disc as I had a virus that I could not get rid of
As for discs I got nothing with the pc when i bought it but I managed to get an xp pro recovery disc off ebay but I think that the only drivers it has are for the mouse and keyboard. I phoned Dell this morning but as it is more than 12 months old they don't want to know. If I could find out how to get the internet working then I may be able to system properties and down load the missing drivers I don't know. I did notice when I was doing the re format that
it said press f 2 for automatic asr but I thought that I would have to re format
the disc to get rid of anything nasty. But as you say it's to late now.
AlanWade

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the drivers from here:
http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-dell-optiplex-gx280-desktop-pc-windows-xp-vista-drivers/
or here:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection
or here:
http://skallinonedownloads.blogspot.se/2010/06/dell-optiplex-gx280-windows-xp-drivers.html
JonS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting the drivers for one of those isn't quite as simple as Alan implies

the Optiplex GX280 name was applied to a range of models. They actually used five different cases, all badged the same (desktop / tower /SFF....)
Even then the actual components were variable
To ID it properly we would need the Service Tag off the machine. This is usually on a paper label on the back, sometimes on top of side. Its usually just a plain white paper label

You'd do best to try for the hidden image recovery just in case the image is still there. Depending on the machine, on a Dell with XP installed its usually a case pf hitt6ing the Ctrl and F11 keys when the "Dell" splash screen appears at startup. On some its Ctrl and F10
anker

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: drivers Reply with quote

I am sorry for the delay getting back to you. Thank you very much for the drivers I have loaded them and can now access the internet again.
However I am now getting some very interesting pop ups that i think may be related to Broadcom.

1) Security platform connection failed ( oxe0283103)
2) Initiation of the psp access failed due to the tmp componant missing or disabled.

Can I delete Broadcom tpm and solve the problem without causing more problems ?

Thank You
anker

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: drivers Reply with quote

Sorry Jon. I never saw you'r last post. The service tag is either fx3kj1j
or 34653115495 I can remember the numbers but one is the express service code and one it the service tag. I think it is the fx code that you want.
Thanks.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug either of those numbers into this website and it brings up the correct drivers
https://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

The error you are getting does not relate to the Broadcomm network driver, but relates to a possible TPM security chip
Basically its saying its not there - which is what I'd expect from a home user version of that machine TPM chips are usually only fitted to business versions as an extra. Just uninstall the software and forget about it.
Make sure you remove the correct Broadcomm software though - the Gigabit LAN network driver is also from Broadcomm and you DO need that

Once you loaded the drivers, check in device manager to make sure nothing is missing
anker

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I have downloaded the drivers and will install them tomorrow.
Then fingers crossed it will be ok. Goodness knows why the original drivers
decided to cause problems when i re installed them. I think it will be a long
time before I let anyone talk me into doing this again.

Thanks.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is that Dell list all the POSSIBLE drivers for that model, some of which are optional extras
e.g. the TPM chip, extra graphics card, TV tuners..
When you buy from them online they may build a machine with the extras, but the service tag doesn't change

Actually that one is quite simple by Dell standards. Some - for the same model - can list three different graphics cards, multiple modems and up to five wireless network cards. If you get faced with one of those it really is a case of trial and error
anker

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to say that I am back on my Dell rather than the nasty e machine I use at work. Thank You very much for all your help with this.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: