Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD drive wont read dual layer dvds - read for more info

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
faceman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: DVD drive wont read dual layer dvds - read for more info Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently did a dell factory restore on my xps 420 computer.

I have done this before with absolutly no problems.

However this time, my dvd drive doesnt work properly. It reads everything, apart from blank dual layer dvds. Even dual layer dvds that have stuff burned on them will read, but not the blank ones.

However, if i insert a dual layer dvd just as windows boots, it will read it fine. I have even succesfully burned a working dual layer dvd like this.This proves that my drive is working fine, and is not faulty. However, if i leave it too long before putting the disc in, or i take it out and put it back in, it doesnt work.

The drive makes sounds when it cant read it, almost as if the drive is lost and cant find the disc.

The drive is, PBDS DVD + - RW DH-16W1S I have the latest drivers.

I am using windows vista home premium.

I have tested the same thing with the xbox 360 hd dvd drive, and the exact same thing happens. This means it must be something to do with windows.

I have even tried doing the factory system restore again, with no luck.

I have searched everywhere for a solution with no answer, and am waiting for a reply from dell.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD drive wont read dual layer dvds - read for more info Reply with quote

faceman wrote:
I have tested the same thing with the xbox 360 hd dvd drive, and the exact same thing happens. This means it must be something to do with windows.

Can you just clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying this is an external drive and it works when connected to an Xbox?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
faceman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.

I mean ive tested the xbox 360 hd dvd drive in windows. (it is an external addon that plays HDDVDs through the xbox 360, but can also be used in windows.) this drive will also not read blank dual layer dvds. Everything else works fine though.

The drive in question is an internal drive.

Thanks
faceman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the double post but ive found out something amazing and weird at the same time.

The drive will read blank dual layer dvds as long as there are no windows open.

For example.

With an internet explorer windows open - it wont read blank dual layer dvds.
With 'my computer' open it wont read blank dual layer dvds.
With NO windows of any kind open, it WILL read blank dual layer dvds, and i can go on to burn or whatever.

I hope you guys like a challenge, this has befuddled me.

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd. Are the disks +R or -R media?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
faceman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are +R. Like i said, before the factory reset it all worked fine.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of updates for Windows Vista relating to dual layer DVDs, however I'm not sure they fix the exact problem you have. Have you installed all the latest Windows Updates? You should be running service pack 3.
faceman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure there is a service pack 3.

Ive looked through the microsoft downloads, and no i havnt downloaded them all. The highest i see is service pack 2, ill try that.

Can you confirm there is a service pack 3, and let me know where to get it.

Thanks
faceman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only vista service pack i could find on the windows website was service pack 1. XP has service pack 3. Im downloading service pack 1 to see if it will help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes. Service Pack 1 for Vista.
faceman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the service pack update didnt work.

Ive installed every single update i could, it still doesnt work.

I think it is a faulty drive.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it possibly is a faulty drive, wait to see what Dell say.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: