Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dvd problems

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
dell1961

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: dvd problems Reply with quote

I am using xp professional and the problem that I have got is that I have been given a dvd that was recorded on a video camera to copy.(No copyright
issues) I loaded the dvd onto my hard drive via dvd decrypter, Up to this point no problem. Where the wheels fell off was when I tried to send the video from the hard drive onto a dvd. I put a blank dvd + rw disc in my dvd
re writer clicked on file send to drive E. Then I get a message that says
"Windows does not support this cd - rw format. To use this disc erase this cd - rw which will format the disc so that windows can use it". I tried to erase it even though it is a blank dvd but it made no difference. I don't know why it thinks that it is a cd, The only thing that I can think of is I don't know what
foremat it has ended up as on my hard drive. It will play on wmp 11 the video is ok but no audio If I try it on vlc I get audio and video.

Am I trying to do something that windows won't do ? I could understand it
spitting it's dummy out if it was a pre recorded copyrighted dvd but it's not. Does anyone have any ideas Thank You.
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of imponderables here which make it difficult to answer. However camera streams aren't usually in DVD format unless they've been re-authored. Usually they are in an MP2 or MP4 stream <br />
MP2 can be easily edited to make a DVD image, but MP4 would need re-econding before you could assemble the VOB files for a DVD.

What format is the video you are trying to copy? My guess is that its NOT in a DVD format and needs to be copied as a data stream, not as a video stream.
Perhaps your best option is simply to use Nero or similar to do a disk-to-disk copy. After all, if the disk is not copyrighted them you have no need to use DVD decryptor. That program exists to break copyrights on disks - which you say is not an issue here.
dell1961

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.
I don't have a Scooby when it comes to formats, I thought a dvd was a dvd.
The guy that recordrd the dvd said it is vob hope that means more to you than it does to me. I don't know if this will help but the dvd will play on a normal dvd player (Audio and video) and on the dvd re writer on my computer but as I said before I get no audio on wmp 11. I might be wrong
but if it was as this person said that the format was as a normal dvd it would
not play at all on wmp 11 would it? Re dvd decryptor I only used that so that I could rip the dvd onto my hard disc. It was the first dvd ripping software that i found
I don't think I will try washing the dvd with water lol.
Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP11 needs a DVD codec to play DVDs - in XP this wasn't installed, but is in Vista / 7. In XP you have to install a third party codec. However as the disk is actually playing, then it appears the codec is present.
So it seems likely the audio problem is with the machine - corrupted audio codecs, incorrect audio driver settings, volume turned down / muted. Hard to say really without seeing the machine.
However the copying is a different issue. Your friend says its a DVD disk,adn that he's authored it. Therefore you don't need to do any "ripping" - its already encoded correctly. All you need to do is copy the drive with a standard CD/DVD burning program. If you don't have Nero or Roxio installed, them simply download the free CDBurnerXP which will be able to do this for you

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
dell1961

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Thank You for your help.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: