Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD-r
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: DVD-r Reply with quote

I understand that a 4.7GB DVD-R can only hold about 4.3GB of data but why does Nero list a DVD5 as 4483MB?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DVD-5 has a capacity of approximately 4.38Gb. However, you have to remember when doing the conversion from megabytes to gigabytes, that there are 1024Mb in a Gb, not 1000. This is down to the binary system, and more details can be found in are article on understanding hard disk drive spaces.

4483Mb is the same as 4.3779Gb, which is approximately 4.38Gb - the approximate capacity of a DVD-5 disk.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that when I burn a DVD using nero, the time difference for 4X and 8 X is only a few minutes, why is that?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nero employs Buffer Underrun technology. This means that it will adjust the write speed dependent on how quickly the data gets to the drive. When you set the speed (4X or 8X) you are setting a maximum. If the drive were to burn continuously at this speed (as older CD writer drives used to), and the available data is not getting through to the drive quick enough, then the burn will fail and the disk will be ruined.

So in your case, it sounds like the data transfer to the drive is somewhere just above 4X speed. If you are burning something that is being encoded on the fly - as in making a DVD video from Mpeg files, then this will be slower than just copying data directly. Also, if source or destination drives are USB they will not transfer as quickly as internal drives.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the transfer speed from hard disk to DVD drive? It takes me about 1 hour 5 minutes to burn a data disc to near full capacity on recent PC using Nero regardless of the speed at 4X or 8X while It takes about 35 minutes to copy the contents of the disc (similar capacity) to the hard drive. Is this normal?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transfer speed of the hard disk to the DVD drive is dependent on many factors - the hard disk, the DVD drive, the type of bus they sit on (IDE, SATA, USB, Firewire, etc.), whether the data on the hard disk is fragmented, whether anything else is accessing the hard disk at the same time.... Giving a figure for the transfer speed would be impossible.

Assuming the DVD drive gets the data at a rate faster than it can write, then at 1x speed it will take 1 hour (give or take a few minutes) to burn the disk. So at 4x it would take 15mins, 8x would be 7.5 mins. Now this also assumes the DVD drive is writing in CLV mode (Constant Linear Velocity), there are several other modes (ZCLV, CAV) that some drives use that affect the write speed.

Now if you are converting say an mpeg file in to a DVD movie, then that causes even more of a problem. This is not direct data transfer as the data needs to be processed and converted in to the correct format for the DVD drive to write. This can slow the process down.

Copying a disk to the hard drive taking 35mins is about 0.5x, so that's not good. If that's how long it takes, then it is not surprising that it takes so long to write a disk. Without knowing the full specification of your PC, it would be difficult for me to say whether this is unexpected or not.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hard drive appears as MAXTOR STM380211AS in the safetly Remove hardware icon and is divided into Generic Volume E and C. I presume it is connected through USB?
The PC is not a branded sort, it has been built up by some computer store.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the drive and external drive connected via a USB port? Or is it internal - if it is internal then it is a SATA drive and should have a good read/write rate.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avextraxjp wrote:
My hard drive appears as MAXTOR STM380211AS in the safetly Remove hardware icon and is divided into Generic Volume E and C. I presume it is connected through USB?

internal, I think it is connected through USB
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB is not used for internal devices. The drive you mention is a SATA drive, so it should have a fairly fast data transfer as SATA is a fast interface.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I explain my situation?
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try!

Is your problem that the speed at which you can burn a DVD is too slow? I'm not really clear from the thread.

Would help if you can ask a specific question, give as much info on what currently happens, and give as much details about your PC as possible.
Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: