Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrostatic Discharge (ESD

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Tutorials
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Electrostatic Discharge (ESD Reply with quote

Electrostatic Discharge (ESD)

If you build your own Computers ESD is important (I will soon be building my 8th Computer and i have not Fried anything - yet Laughing )

Potentially harmful discharge of static electricity. Often referred to as "shocking" a component, even a small amount of ESD can severely damage or destroy computer components, precautions such as a static strap is recommended when working with ESD-sensitive devices such as Memory / Motherboards / Graphic Cards etc. ESD can occur when working in your computer and will cause components you touch to no longer work properly "fry them" . ESD can occur without the user feeling a shock and can occur while working on the inside of the computer or handling components on the Motherboard or the Motherboard its self.

Purchasing a static strap is a cheep price to pay when you consider the price of new Graphics Card, a static strap will cost about 5 - 8 = $9 - $15 and can be purchased in most Computer stores or on line, other ESD products are a static mat to place the Computer / component to be worked on on top of, and static gloves (never used the gloves myself).

Some people will say you don't need to earth yourself ? well thats up to them but you run the risk of damaging your own components and is not good practise, touching a radiator may work but static has a habit of regenerating itself, the environment and conditions should also be taken in to consideration humidity and temperature can effect the amount of static present.

A standard static strap

A static mat

Anti static gloves

SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are working on an existing computer, one method is to leave it plugged in to the mains, with the wall socket switched off. This maintains the earth connection to the chassis, thereby earthing you when you touch it. It's not ideal, but it certainly can help, especially when you don't have the equipment mentioned above to hand.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: