Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e-mail files verses pc programs

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
brandyhaley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: e-mail files verses pc programs Reply with quote

I have a HPw1907 with windows vista. I am trying to open a large file that I recieve via email from a laywer. When I attempt to open the file it sais I have to have xlview. The original sender sais I need to open the file under a image viewer program. The image viewer program that I have is for photos and not for text. I need to open this file it is very important. I downloaded Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer but it tells me it cannot read the file.Please I need help opening this file. Thank you.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is asking for xlview then it sounds like it is a Microsoft Excel (spreadsheet) file. In which case you will need something that can view Excel files like xlview. You can download from here for free. Note that if the file was created using a newer version of Excel you may also need the Compatibility Pack installed which can be downloaded from here.

Alternatively, you could install OpenOffice which is a free office application that can deal with most Microsoft Office file formats and allow you to manipulate the files and save them. OpenOffice can be downloaded from here.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
brandyhaley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: e-mail files verses pc programs Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
If it is asking for xlview then it sounds like it is a Microsoft Excel (spreadsheet) file. In which case you will need something that can view Excel files like xlview. You can download from here for free. Note that if the file was created using a newer version of Excel you may also need the Compatibility Pack installed which can be downloaded from here.

Alternatively, you could install OpenOffice which is a free office application that can deal with most Microsoft Office file formats and allow you to manipulate the files and save them. OpenOffice can be downloaded from here.
Quote:
downloaded the open office,org3.1 and now it tells me that it cannot open due to internal error occured.
i already have the file format converters from downloaded microsoft.com
Quote:
i need help desperatly
what do i do now
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If neither xlview nor OpenOffice can open the file then it sounds like the file is possibly corrupt. You would be best contacting the person who sent it to you and ask them if they can send you the file in a pdf format so you can view it using a pdf reader.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: