Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ERROR MESSAGE: 0x801f0819
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: ERROR MESSAGE: 0x801f0819 Reply with quote

My main printer runs off the router's print server port. My scanner (parallel port only) runs off the computer's parallel port, which has recently developed (for no obvious reason), error code 0x801f0810, which stops it, saying the port is being used by another device. I feel it is a change in the XP registry - But where? Any ideas please?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VK3QQ wrote:
Error Message number should have been 0x801f0810...... Sorry!

Please edit your posts if there is a mistake, don't post a new topic.

You could try deleting the parallel port in Device Manager and allowing Windows to find it again. See if this helps.

Can you also let us know what make and model of scanner you have?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try deleting the parallel port in Device Manager and allowing Windows to find it again. See if this helps.

Can you also let us know what make and model of scanner you have?[/quote]

The scanner is a Canon 640. There is definitely no prob with the scanner, as it is fine from my Laptop, and if I run my desktop XP from my 2nd (cloned) HDD. The suggestion you make has been tried, and no go. In passing, there are no yellow exclamation marks in device manager.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that your BIOS has the parallel port type set to ECP, EPP or Bi-Directional. If this doesn't work try changing the memory setting in the BIOS for the parallel port - there are usually 3 options to choose from, try each.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Make sure that your BIOS has the parallel port type set to ECP, EPP or Bi-Directional. If this doesn't work try changing the memory setting in the BIOS for the parallel port - there are usually 3 options to choose from, try each.

Ok, but....... I have two HDDs on slide-in drawers. They are cloned identical, and kept that way with periodic cloning. The error code problem occurred with the "main" HDD. If I swap to the other HDD, the problem is not there, everything is normal. I could back clone of course, but don't want to at this stage, as there is other material on the "Main"...... The point is that I believe this rules out BIOS (?)
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like the BIOS to me either. Something isn't right with your config though. Have you tried contacting Canon about this - it's probably a known issue.
Mr. Green
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Doesn't sound like the BIOS to me either. Something isn't right with your config though. Have you tried contacting Canon about this - it's probably a known issue.
:mrgreen:

As I said before, there is no problem with the scanner! It works fine when driven from my Laptop, or from the main computer using the std-by HDD! My money is on the Registry! Nevertheless, the problem is definitely in my MAIN HDD! As, again when the computer is running from the STD-BY HDD, everything is fine. These error codes are Microsoft, therefore there must be info on the whole series somewhere(?)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon would be the best people to contact, as Steve say. It could be a common issue with this scanner.

It could still be fixed by a change in the BIOS. If XP as installed on this disk is allocating the memory space used by the LPT port for something else, then that could cause this problem. By moving the LPT port to a different memory address it could resolve the issue.
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Canon would be the best people to contact, as Steve say. It could be a common issue with this scanner.

It could still be fixed by a change in the BIOS. If XP as installed on this disk is allocating the memory space used by the LPT port for something else, then that could cause this problem. By moving the LPT port to a different memory address it could resolve the issue.

How can it be a change in the BIOS, when the system works fine on the my std-by HDD - a "fresh" operating system - indeed the operating system (cloned) as it was before the problem? I consider the change has therefore clearly occurred in my main-HDD operating system!

It is clear that no one knows the real answer to this specific error code. There is a lot of google talk about it, but no answers. Even the Microsoft site has nothing on this error code!

Certainly, I'll check with Canon, as I know from past experience the are more friendly than Microsoft.......... Its problems like this that make me consider changing to Linux...... Or maybe W7 will be less of a pain, Hi, Hi!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about it being a BIOS issue. Windows plays with resources to get things to work. If, on the installation of Windows that you are currently using, Windows has used the resources for the LPT port as defined in the BIOS for something else, then there could be problems. Changing the BIOS setting could therefore resolve it - alternatively you could play around manually assigning resources in Device Manager (but this is highly unrecommended and could result in all sorts of problems, including system crashes and failure to boot).

Incidentally if you change to Linux, Vista or W7 you may have problems getting compatible drivers as many parallel devices are now unsupported and drivers are often not written for newer operating systems, or are cobbled together and are buggy - you should check availability of drivers first.
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SoftStag"]It's not about it being a BIOS issue. Changing the BIOS setting could therefore resolve it - alternatively you could play around
Incidentally if you change to Linux you may have problems getting compatible drivers.

Bios is a common factor to my two HDDs (two "identical" and manually changeable operating systems) With respect you are not justifying why this common factor (BIOS) can be a factor when both HDDs run from this (BIOS), and the error code is only there when using one of the HDDs.

As regards Linux, our local Linux groups have had all the answers to drivers for a very long time.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VK3QQ wrote:
Bios is a common factor to my two HDDs (two "identical" and manually changeable operating systems) With respect you are not justifying why this common factor (BIOS) can be a factor when both HDDs run from this (BIOS), and the error code is only there when using one of the HDDs.

Windows dynamically assign resources, each copy of Windows may be doing it differently. If you don't try this, how will you know? All the research I have done on this error (including Canon's own website) point to Windows using the BIOS assigned resources for something else and suggest this method to fix it. If you are not prepared to try it, then I have no other suggestion than to use your other installation of Windows.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: