Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethernet driver
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
solid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Ethernet driver Reply with quote

Hi

I need to install a driver from http://support.asus.com for my motherboard. Model - A7N8X-VM/400. The driver is NVIDIA DOS NDIS Ethernet Driver. My ethernet port doesn't work, it never has. I've been told this was a problem with this motherboard and this drive should cure it. I think i need to make a MS DOS disk with the driver and flash my bios. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help???
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download this driver from here:
http://files.filefront.com/NVIDIA+DOS+NDIS+Ethernet+Driver+A7N8X+VM+400/;4320042;/fileinfo.html

Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethernet driver Reply with quote

solid wrote:
Hi

I need to install a driver from http://support.asus.com for my motherboard. Model - A7N8X-VM/400. The driver is NVIDIA DOS NDIS Ethernet Driver. My ethernet port doesn't work, it never has. I've been told this was a problem with this motherboard and this drive should cure it. I think i need to make a MS DOS disk with the driver and flash my bios. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help???

This is confusing. I need to know the problem you have with your ethernet port. Don't flash the BIOS without knowing exactly what you are doing, and I don't see any correlation with DOS drivers for ethernet. I suspect all you need to do is install the correct Windows Drivers for the inbuilt ethernet card and it will be fine. If you are using XP then the drivers can be found here:
nVidia Ethernet Drivers

Let us know the problem and we can try to sort it out.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
solid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Ethernet driver Reply with quote

Hi softstag.

OK i'll start from the begining. I have a desk top pc and a laptop pc. I wanted to get a router/modem so i can plug my desktop into my router via an ethernet cable and run my lap top wireless. I bought a Netgear Moden Router which came with a free usb wireless adaptor. Now i set up my new router, following the instructions exactly. I plugged my desktop into the router with the ethernet cable. when i do it serches for a connection but comes up with a message ( low or no connectivity). I connected the same ethernet cable into my laptop and everything works ok and i'm on the internet fine. My laptop also connects wirelessly to the router ok. And if i plug the wireless usb adapter into the desktop pc then it also works fine, and i get internet. The only problem is with the desktop ethernet connection. I spoke with the company that built it and they said there was a problem with the motherboard when manufactured and i should download the drivers first then if that doesn't work then i need to flash my bios. They have had the same problem with this before. I emailed Asus who make the mother board and they sent me a driver but it didn't cure the concern. Also when i plug the ethernet cable into my laptop and orange light comes on then a green one flashes but on the desktop only the orange light comes on when i put the ethernet cable in!!

Regards
solid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: ethernet driver Reply with quote

Here is what i think i need to cure it but not sure how to install it.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
solid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Ethernet driver Reply with quote

Type A7N8X-VM/400 under the download section (top left) then go into the utilities section and it's the top dos driver!!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try to install this, this has nothing to do with your problem as far as I can see.

Firstly, we need to identify if the drivers are installed correctly in Windows and also what the status of the connection is. With the cable connected to the router and PC, follow these instructions to get the IPConfig details and post the results. Also go to Device Manager and let me know what you have under Network Adapters (may need to click the + next to it), also let me know if there is anything there with a red X, or yellow circle and an exclamation mark.

Can you also let us know what version of Windows you are using.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
solid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: ethernet driver Reply with quote

{Details removed as superseded in next post} - Softstag
solid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: ethernet driver Reply with quote

Ignore the post above. That was with just a modem connected not the router/modem. Here is with the router conected:-

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mark

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 01-23-45-67-89-AB

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.29.30

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Under network adaptors i have:-

NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
USB ADSL WAN adaptor (came free with router???)

No red 'x' or circle
solid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: ethernet driver Reply with quote

USB ADSL WAN adaptor is actually me adsl modem
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it looks like the MAC Address is invalid for the network card. This is probably why they are suggesting a BIOS flash. I can't find a BIOS flash that refers to this problem, and I prefer not to flash a BIOS unless necessary (if it goes wrong then the PC can be ruined). I think we may be able to work round this one.

I need to rule out incorrect DHCP setup, so if you can post an IPConfig for your laptop whilst connected to the internet via ethernet to the router, then this should help.
solid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: ethernet driver Reply with quote

This is with wireless connection!!!

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Rachel

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-BE-90-0A

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Wireless CardBus PC Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-0E-53-AC-F3

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 October 2007 18:08:44

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 October 2007 18:08:44
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: