Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethernet Port on PC - no light!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
theGibbler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Ethernet Port on PC - no light! Reply with quote

Hi-

I just got a new Acer X1200 pc a couple weeks ago. When I connected the cable modem directly to the computer, the internet was working fine. However, because I have two computers, I installed a linksys router. At this point, the new computer was getting no connection the internet. I, then connected the pc directly to the modem (as in the beginning), but it did not work either (when it had before). Checking the back of the pc tower, I see that when the ethernet cable is plugged into the port, no green light (or any light) shows.

I checked under device manager and saw that there was an Ethernet Controller listed under "Other devices" with a yellow exclamation point icon. Properties showed that there were no drivers installed. (There was also no "Network adapters" listed in device manager).

I also tried pinging through command prompt but (ping 4.2.2.1) but received an error code 1231.

Finally, I just did a system restore, and saw that under device manager, a network adapter does show (and properties show it to be working properly). There is also no Ethernet Controller listed under an "Other device" listing.

However, the internet is still not working and the back of the pc still shows no light when an ethernet cable is plugged into the ethernet port.

Is the device just plain dead? I find this hard to believe since the computer was bought only two weeks ago -- at least I hope it's not dead. The internet was also working just fine the first couple days.

I also already tried another ethernet cable (with no luck), as well as both tried using a different port in the router and then just directly connected the pc with the modem. Again, no luck.

Any suggestions?

P.S. the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium

Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go in to Control Panel, then Network Connections. This should show what connections you have and their status. Can you let me know what shows in here and what it says the status is for each device. Do this with the ethernet cable connected to the router.

Also, you mention that there is no light on the laptop with the cable connected, is there a light on the router to show the cable connected?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: