Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

even short videos crashing my applications

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: even short videos crashing my applications Reply with quote

Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 3100 PC with half the disc still free and 1.2Gb RAM running Windows XP.

Seems to be having problems though with even short, 2 minute, 16 meg video.

When I try and burn a 10 slide, slideshow to dvd using Nero it fails at end but successfully burns hundreds of 3 meg photos to dvd. Message is something to do with 'cannot perform disc at once'

Similarly when I do view 'details' in Windows explorer it lists all the picture files fine but crashes the application if there's even one short video in the file.

NB. Plays the videos using MS real player just fine.

Any thoughts gratefully received. thanks. PS I'm pretty non techy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you possibly need to install the latest graphics drivers for you video card, however it would be helpful if you can give us the exact error messages you are getting.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: message details Reply with quote

Hi

Exact messages aren't very helpful I'm afraid.

For instance when I double click on a video from Windows Explorer it opens up Windows Media Player, hangs for a couple of minutes and then closes Explorer with the pop up message:

'To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program' and the option to 'send error report'

The Nero message was 'could not perform end of disc-at-once'.

PS. No idea about how to do updates you mention.

Thanks
nottspcfix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all the videos the same format? eg. avi? It could be that windows media player is struggling with a codec? Do you have the latest WMP?

With the Nero problem, is the slideshow a built in feature of Nero? I'm not too familiar with it I'm afraid - always seemed to have too many bugs for my liking Wink

Have you tried burning it at a slower speed?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: video format Reply with quote

Hi. Will check out the video formats when I get home tonight but the videos are just clips taken on an Olympus Mu camera.

I should stress that although it hangs for a couple of minutes and closes explorer; once the dump has completed the video does come up and play.

PS. On the slide-show it is indeed an in-built feature of Nero and was only burning at 4x speed.

PPS. Really sorry but no idea what a codec or WMP is Wink

PPPS. Good site. will be making a donation.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try downloading and installing the K-Lite Codec Pack.

WMP is Windows Media Player - the default application in Windows for playing videos.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Just sais the files are 'video clips', avi files I think although crashes when click on details. Interestingly converts them to quick play videos once played but still crashes.

Did the download but then requests $40 to activate from what I can see which I'm loath to pay for something that may or may not be the answer.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Lite Codec pack is freeware, you should not have to pay anything for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: whoops Reply with quote

Apologies. Me being even dimmer than usual (I went to the page and clicked on the huge 'free download' button only to realise that was for an advert for some video converter application! Have now dutifully uninstalled this and downloaded the full codec package.

Only slight difference now is that when I view videos file in Windows Explorer the tiles clearly mark the videos as .avi files varying in size from 2mb to 16mb but Explorer still crashes in the same fashion before I even get to click on one of them!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: It's a Windows Explorer issue I think Reply with quote

Hi

Downloaded VLC and played the .avi file absolutely fine through that so pretty sure it's an Explorer bug.

Went into Explorer again and the video folder showed the .avi files (this time with a VLC icon) but again dumped and crashed Explorer before even clicked on any file.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Resolved Reply with quote

Finally sussed this with help of a friend (thanks John).

The Explorer bug was to do with the way Explorer previews files and I simply removed this function on the cmd prompt with the command
regsvr32 /ushmedia.dll as instructed by a forum string on explorer bugs. I now don't get the thumbnail preview but a small price to pay.

The Nero issue turned out to be separate and down to an old Roxio application I'd removed using the control panel but that still had some dll's hanging around. Upon manually deleting these Nero burned the home vids to dvd just fine. Just luck on this one that I happened to be browsing the programme files to see if anything was clogging up the PC and happened upon these.

Thanks for help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know and posting your solution Smile
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: